PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Alright, so I know that this is a highly subjective thing, but do you prefer a shorter pipe or a more standard/long pipe? For instance, the Savinelli 106 is generally produced to be around 5.5 inches long, but they also make a pocket version that is a little under 5 inches. Other companies may produce models that are standard sized (5.5-6"), while having pocket/shorter models a inch or so shorter. If given the choice, what would you choose, and why? Are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages? I'm more of a standard length fan myself, but that is purely based on aesthetics for me.

Reactions: kcghost

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
What I do not like are shorter pipes. I cannot stand the smoke in my nose and eyes, and I have always re-homed these.
I've never had a proper nose-warmer, but I like full bents. Mind you, then hanging around my chin is different than one at the tip of your nose haha

Reactions: SBC

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
All my pipes are at least 5 inches and my longest is 6.5 inches of which I only have a few. I do own a number of straight pipes mostly around 5.5. I have only a few pipes that are 6-6.5. 2 are Rad Davis Lovats, a Rad Davis Billiard and a Brian Ruthenberg Caliper grade Dublin.

My big Rad Davis and Brian Ruthenberg I will hold more while I smoke them. I can still clench easy enough while lighting them up but I use my hand more on those. My two 6.5 inch Rad Lovats are light enough to clench while smoking as both are straight. For years the only thing I have smoked in them is 2007 Stonehaven. They both love that blend.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Alright, so I know that this is a highly subjective thing, but do you prefer a shorter pipe or a more standard/long pipe? For instance, the Savinelli 106 is generally produced to be around 5.5 inches long, but they also make a pocket version that is a little under 5 inches. Other companies may produce models that are standard sized (5.5-6"), while having pocket/shorter models a inch or so shorter. If given the choice, what would you choose, and why? Are there any inherent advantages/disadvantages? I'm more of a standard length fan myself, but that is purely based on aesthetics for me.
I prefer anything 5 to 5 1/2. And won't buy a pipe if it's marked outside of that range. The Savinelli 106 is my favorite shape of all time.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I prefer anything 5 to 5 1/2. And won't buy a pipe if it's marked outside of that range. The Savinelli 106 is my favorite shape of all time.
Interesting! What is the primary reason for staying in that range?

I have a friend who got a Sav 106 in March, and everytime he uses it he marvels at how well it smokes. It is a sharp looking pipe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somewhat shorter pipes apply less leverage against the teeth and strike me as more comfortable. But I like a churchwarden for a long smoke seated in a chair with arms. I have a clay pipe from Holland that is about 14 inches long. And I enjoy nose warmers and don't find that the smoke gets in my eyes or nose. I guess I enjoy variety, with short medium being a favorite.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I'm height challenged, so I have a strong preference for 4"" to 6"(max) with 5" being the sweet spot.
I like nose warmers even though I don't clench.

Yes, I know hobbits are partial to churchwardens, but I don't like them or even "semi-wardens.