PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Well I finally finished my second pipe kit.
I was going for an egg shape. I've never held a pipe that shape, so I had to just kind of judge it by pictures of other ones.
This one went MUCH better for me. I learned a lot from making good old Crack-A-Toa (my last pipe).
It seems like I went from one extreme to another with blocks of briar. The last one had a very mottled grain and a crazy amount of deep flaws. This one had a few, but only one very shallow one I couldn't work through. I'm sure a more experienced pipe maker could have gotten around it, but I'm satisfied with it.
I named this one Karma. I feel like I got a little payback from the briar gods :)
Pictures:
WP_20150105_21_18_43_Pro_zps44043ab6.jpg

WP_20150113_0022_zps97c12c90.jpg

WP_20150113_003_zps72d60c97.jpg

WP_20150113_0062_zpsb6e69e24.jpg

WP_20150113_0112_zps32caed83.jpg

WP_20150113_0222_zps8e473c5e.jpg

WP_20150113_0332_zps319a1bac.jpg

WP_20150113_0342_zps9201346f.jpg

WP_20150113_0382_zpsca90fbd0.jpg

WP_20150113_0392_zps865d8357.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Wow while perhaps not flawless that is an amazingly good looking pipe and for a second try, I am seriously impressed. Glad this block gave you better results, that poor Crack-A-Toa looked like a pipe maker's nightmares in terms of Briar flaws.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nicely done. That looks great especially for your second try. I'm glad to see this block of briar worked out in your favor this time.

Jan 8, 2013
Very very nice, Ivape :) Good to know the Briar gods smiled down upon you this time. Looks to me like you got this thing. And being only your second pipe, you can still improve. So as sweet as that pipe looks, I can't imagine the beauties you'll be turning out in the future as you build more. Great stuff. :clap:

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Great looking grain on that and a nicely shaped apple. You did quite well on shaping.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Nicely done, Vape. It's a great shape and I love the slanted grain on this burner.
Still, I admire the way you soldiered through Crack-A-Toa. That would've folded some first time carvers however, even then, I thought it was pretty cool looking in a weird kind of way.
I hope you keep Crack-A-Toa as a reminder of your first time out of the chute. The design was there but the raw goods failed you.
Keep carving, brother. You're good and you're only going to keep getting better.
Fnord

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I just wanted to thank everyone for the comments and encouragement. I have now graduated from pipe making pre-school. My next pipe may be on par with a first grader.
Honestly, I think I did a good job for my second pipe. It's a little heavy. It feels great in the hand, but could use some work to lighten it up and be a good "clencher".
I could still take off a good bit of briar and maintain the shape I already have. I also need to slim down stem a bit. Originally I didn't do much beside sand out some scratches and polish. I think if I grind it down a little bit, it will feel much better in my mouth.
I'd also like to even out the stain a little bit. I love the color and contrast, but I learned a few lessons from doing it the first time. I think if I clean it off and redo (with lessons learned included) I can bring out a little more of what I'm seeing there.
I was totally satisfied with the sanding, buffing, and polishing. In person, it looks and feels like glass. I can actually see myself in the finish. To me, the finish and shine is as good as any of the pipes at my local B&M.
My next one is going to be a bent. I've made two straight pipe and I'm feeling my oats I think. I've also been inspired by Anthony's work on his pipe kit. I don't know if I can be quite as creative, but it has given me a few ideas for what I'd like to try next.
I want to thank Greg also. It was his post that really got me going. I've had hours and hours of fun because he planted the seed.
To you other guys, give it a try. Thirty or forty bucks is worth the experience!
PS: For those wondering about poor Crack-A-Toa, no worries. It's a great smoker. I honestly though it was going to start smoking through one of those flaws after the first bowl. Briar is an amazing thing though. It's got a thin film of cake and tastes smooth when it smokes. It does get a little warm. I sanded the walls a little thinner than I had originally planned just trying to see how deep the flaws went.
All in all though, Crack-A-Toa is alive, well, and a daily smoker.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Great effort, hope it smokes as well as your other one with the slight blemishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.