PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Boognish

Lurker
Apr 3, 2021
Maine
So I've tried looking through a few of the terminology stickies (and google) to find my answers but couldn't. Something I've run across all over the many pipe forums is people classifying their pipes in groups. What exactly is a "group 5" pipe? Context tells me it has to do with chamber size. Can someone please educate me.

TIA

Reactions: chopper
What exactly is a "group 5" pipe?
This is the old Dunhill groupings of pipe sizes based upon the sorted sizes of the hunk (ebachan) of briars used. Many of them think that it translates directly to the bowl sizes, and it may in a round about way, but not necessarily so when people use them to sort sizes of other brands. For examples Group 1 pipe is rather small, because of the size of the hunk of briar that was used to make the stummel. But, we know that many pipemakers will make small sized stummels but give them .85" wide diameter chambers.

Mostly, these guys do it to muddy the discussions of pipe sizes thinking that by using Group sizes that they will look smarter. But, it doesn't mean much of anything where we are discussing chamber widths and depths. However, it could be relevant of we were discussing the actual overall size of the pipe, as in for clenching.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Actually (and forgive this short bus student cos) while their are variations, overlap and mis sizing occurrences, with standard shapes it's remarkably consistent on Dunhill's from the 1980's onward. Generally speaking, a group 4 is an average sized pipe. Group 5's are a step up in size and Group 6 is their biggest designation though you will find Collector's, HT's and ODA's that sometimes go even bigger. For those of us looking to look smart (or perhaps just looking to use the one sizing system in an otherwise spec less industry), it's a handy (if not one company focused) to understand pipe sizing. Upshall basically following their sizing designations. If you look at others, you'll find they do/did it as well.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Actually (and forgive this short bus student cos) while their are variations, overlap and mis sizing occurrences, with standard shapes it's remarkably consistent on Dunhill's from the 1980's onward. Generally speaking, a group 4 is an average sized pipe. Group 5's are a step up in size and Group 6 is their biggest designation though you will find Collector's, HT's and ODA's that sometimes go even bigger. For those of us looking to look smart (or perhaps just looking to use the one sizing system in an otherwise spec less industry), it's a handy (if not one company focused) to understand pipe sizing. Upshall basically following their sizing designations. If you look at others, you'll find they do/did it as well.
When I first started building a rotation of pipes I really didn't possess half a clue.

There was just so much to take into account that dimensions didn't have much relevance initially.
So my first couple of dozen pipes were chosen by the pics [it's funny how a pipe in the hand can be quite different from what one expected judging by the pics]
It was more good luck than anything else that I wound up with a good range of sizes and shapes.

A standard rating of bowl sizes would have been a huge help at that time.
Although I've since become a freakn expert on the subject [well, I'm now able to differentiate between a small, medium or large bowl :LOL: ] a standard rating would still come in handy when perusing pipes for sale as a quick reference.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
though you will find Collector's, HT's and ODA's that sometimes go even bigger.
Yep, 2.08" depth.

20201129_223141.jpg

t's a handy (if not one company focused) to understand pipe sizing.
But, to use Dunnhil groupings in a discussion outside of a group of English pipe companies, just makes no sense, and does not apply to chamber size discussions. It makes more sense to just refer to a .5” to .98” diameter and chamber depth. We just aren’t going to get pipemakers from around the globe to agree on a system. Heck, they can’t even agree on names of pipe styles sometimes.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I wish more companies had a standard size chart like dunhill. You know how many times I've had to measure and compare pipes to see what my favorite is?

How big is that one chamber again? Ugh

I wish more companies had a standard size chart like dunhill. You know how many times I've had to measure and compare pipes to see what my favorite is?

How big is that one chamber again? Ugh
What I like about smokingpipes is that I can shop by chamber sizes. They give you all of the pipe sizes and specs. I can pretty much be assured of what the pipe will be like in my hand. Ebay is hit or miss, usually with the lowest prices being sold by those who don't care what the dimensions are or have no idea what sizes men would shop for a pipe by. So, it's more of a gamble to shoot for cheap.