Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I've seen many comments about the pipe cleaner test and proper drilling as being key to a good smoke -- no gurgle, cool smoking, limiting excess moisture at the bottom of the bowl, etc.

I took a closer look at my pipes yesterday to see if I could pick up differences in drilling. They all pass the pipe cleaner test (other than my peterson system pipe, which I think is understandable, and a big ben bent billiard). The airholes in the bowls in all my pipes all seem centered on all the pipes. The sizes differ a bit, and I read an article re different thoughts on how large the airhole and drilling should be, but that's not my question.

One thing I did notice is that on the big ben -- which won't pass a pipe cleaner -- the airhole is noticeably above the bottom of the bowl. It is a fairly tall bowl on this pipe, and I sometimes have trouble smoking it down. Other pipes -- my castello 55 for example, seems to have the airhole that opens almost directly on the bottom of the bowl.

Is the location/angle of the airhole relative to the bottom of the bowl one of the keys to good pipe drilling? What are the other primary considerations.

Is the location/angle of the airhole relative to the bottom of the bowl one of the keys to good pipe drilling?
I assume we are talking about a bent pipe... This is a subject of much debate. Some pipemakers will swear that putting the draft dead center of the bottom of the bowl only makes sense to be the best way to enter the chamber.

But, if you look at bent pipes made by high end Danish pipemakers, they all seem to enter just above the bottom.

The idea is that if water condenses as it usually does in a bent pipe, that the water droplet will have somewhere to drop to get out of the way of the draft. If it is dead bottom, then the droplet has nowhere to go, and sets in the draft making that gurgling noise. Being above the bottom, gravity and a gentle puff will push the droplet into the dottle, where it will be out of the way, giving a gurgle free smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've seen many comments about the pipe cleaner test and proper drilling as being key to a good smoke -- no gurgle, cool smoking, limiting excess moisture at the bottom of the bowl, etc..

There is little correlation between good and poor drilling—and moisture, gurgling and coolness of smoke. In a few cases, yes, but it's not a big thing.

As embers notes, it's more about dry tobacco and good technique.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Very helpful and interesting, thanks. Yes, the pipe I am talking about is a bent pipe (Big Ben Pure model 018).

I haven't noticed any gurgling on any of my pipes and I can generally smoke with relatively few relights except for certain tobaccos which give me problems (SPC plum pudding for example). I know, many say relights really don't matter so much, but for me being able to keep the bowl going with few relights adds to my smoking enjoyment.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is true, once I got used to smoking at a 45 degree angle to port, it all came together.

What about 45º to starboard?? :)

Seriously now, can you flesh that out a bit? Keeping the pipe angle down does something for gurgling? Or merely keeping the swig out of the mouth?

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am a dissenter on the pipe cleaner test on bent pipes. I do have a real affection for my bent pipes that pass a pipe cleaner, but with others, I can plainly see that a pipe cleaner would have to do a U-turn and maybe more than one to get to the bowl. Mostly, those bent pipes that don't pass the test stay clear enough, and when I remove the stem (infrequently) I can clean out the airway in the shank with no problem. I say be adaptable. I think men more than women tend to get stuck on rules and precepts. Little boys always want to know what the rules are. Little girls figure they can work something out. For this purpose, I say, don't worry about it.

Jan 8, 2013
Passing a pipe cleaner is more of an added plus, in my opinion. I like being able to run a cleaner from stem to chamber, especially right after a smoke. But it doesn't bother me if the pipe doesn't allow this. It just means I have to let the pipe sit for awhile to cool before removing the stem to give it a proper cleaning. My number one concern is that I get a good smoke out of it. Most of my pipes smoke quite well. It's a convenience more than a necessity.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I will not own a pipe that doesn't pass the pipe cleaner test. I won't own a pipe that is not drilled proper;y. There are just too many great pipes in all price ranges that are made correctly, I say why settle.
The pipe cleaner test doesn’t prove it’s drilled properly. Just in a generally straight line.... which does not equal a good smoke necessarily.

• Love
Reactions: Jef and anotherbob

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
So what drilling deficiencies would warrant returning a pipe or be a cause not to buy it in the first place (in the unlikely event I ever buy a pipe that I have handled in person)?? Some seem to be saying that it doesn't matter that much if at all.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So what drilling deficiencies would warrant returning a pipe or be a cause not to buy it in the first place (in the unlikely event I ever buy a pipe that I have handled in person)?? Some seem to be saying that it doesn't matter that much if at all.
The only thing I've ever returned a pipe for was cosmetic..
I got a pipe with a jacked to the side stem...
I'm sure it would have smoked fine.

I haven't but would return a pipe if I thought there was a finish issue.. or the stem didn't seem to fit properly, etc.

Really you won't know if something you see is a "problem" until you smoke it, at which point you can't return it.

I've read where that whole pipecleaner thing came from tobacconists in the old days showing men how finely drilled their pipe selection was... without having to destroy the virginity of the pipe by smoking it. Yeh, you could probably return a pipe these days that couldn't pass a cleaner, but that's probably going to get you on the list of "difficult customers" that get treated like a doormat. But, YMMV.

I realize that some men demand it pass a cleaner because they don't smoke their pipes slow enough to keep them from gurgling, so they offset their poor smoking skills with running a cleaner through it while smoking. This all seems kinda sloppy to me. Like putting training wheels on your Cannondale carbonfiber road bike, because you can't always keep the bike up while riding. But, I'm kinda a snob, everyone knows this about me. Take it for what it's worth... which isn't much, ha ha.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I realize that some men demand it pass a cleaner because they don't smoke their pipes slow enough to keep them from gurgling, so they offset their poor smoking skills with running a cleaner through it while smoking.
Heh, that's my thinking too. I also believe quite a number of said men are in the group of "ooo, real pipers don't use no stinky filter".

Status
Not open for further replies.