PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
honestly

not sure how you get that from that picture. Or maybe I don't read what kind of free you mean. To me it just looks like an attempt at making a goofy picture with two guys that look very stiff
I mean free to do a gag--or indeed any kind of show--without the sexual interpretation overwhelming all others in a significant portion of the audience.

Reactions: anotherbob
Best Dog Tug Of War GIFs | Gfycat

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I mean free to do a gag--or indeed any kind of show--without the sexual interpretation overwhelming all others in a significant portion of the audience.
who knows. The things that signal that kind of assumption change over time, but that certainly was a thing back then too. A good example would be the career of Franklin Pangborn.

Reactions: makhorkasmoker

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
who knows. The things that signal that kind of assumption change over time, but that certainly was a thing back then too. A good example would be the career of Franklin Pangborn.
I think the "sissy" character is another issue. The documentary "The Celluloid Closet" has a nice section on that. The sissy was definitely a sort of "code" much of the audience understood. I'm talking about stuff like in the OP's gag pic-- depictions of physical contact between men back then.

As this is a pipes forum, I'll use this example: I often see classic films where a male cigarette smoker will get a light off another guy's pipe. To do this, the pipe smoker will leave the pipe in his mouth, puffing to get the ember going. The cigarette smoker sticks the tip of his cig into the bowl, and sucks. For a long moment they're head to head, often with their hands touching--to shield the wind, to hold the pipe steady--and it seems totally symbolic to me (living in the time and culture I live in), and I think it WAS symbolic, but so far as I can judge from the context and especially the characters, it's usually a symbol of a male bond, not necessarily anything sexual. And I think: wow, they could actually do that back then and the audience would understand (and not misunderstand)! Amazing!