PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Smoke Queen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello fam,
first off, sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong place, I'm still navigating this site and figuring it out. Please let me know about that too.
My question is:
Why is my Peterson churchwarden so different in color from the bowl and the stem? I want the stem to look like the same shiny black as the bowl but something weird has happened to it and seems discolored. Is this something that can easily be fixed or what is up with it?? I have attached a few pics. Thank you! IMG_20210105_080247.jpgIMG_20210105_080258.jpgIMG_20210105_080234.jpgIMG_20210105_080200.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Last edited by a moderator:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That’s oxidation. It’s an easy fix. There are various methods to keep the color of the stem black.

I prefer a quick touch up with micro mesh and then a light coat of a product called Obsidian Oil.

The micro mesh kit can be found on Amazon and the oil on smokingpipes.com

some people use toothpaste or other mild abrasives.

25E6C786-93FC-4FA7-8158-D91F05AF920D.jpeg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If the stem is vulcanite, probably oxidation. How long have you had it? I don't think a stem would change color so much unless older than 5? years. If it has oxidized you can restore the color in 15-30 mins. Notes available on the forum.

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That’s oxidation. It’s an easy fix. There are various methods to keep the color of the stem black.

I prefer a quick touch up with micro mesh and then a light coat of a product called Obsidian Oil.

The micro mesh kit can be found on Amazon and the oil on smokingpipes.com

some people use toothpaste or other mild abrasives.

View attachment 58877
Ok but do I scrub it with it or apply in certain motion? Sorry not sure and don't want to make things worse and thank you

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Ok but do I scrub it with it or apply in certain motion? Sorry not sure and don't want to make things worse and thank you
It’s a quick wet sanding. The micro mesh pads are different colors to represent grit. The bigger the number the finer the grit. Start with the brown one, wet. And work your way to the gray one.

This only took a few minutes.

9EA4396E-A2EA-4253-89D3-059872D24AEC.jpeg3D498DAF-F831-4FD3-8979-6643E5257D39.jpeg

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello fam,
first off, sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong place, I'm still navigating this site and figuring it out. Please let me know about that too.
My question is:
Why is my Peterson churchwarden so different in color from the bowl and the stem? I want the stem to look like the same shiny black as the bowl but something weird has happened to it and seems discolored. Is this something that can easily be fixed or what is up with it?? I have attached a few pics. Thank you! View attachment 58873View attachment 58874View attachment 58875View attachment 58876

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)
Do I capitalize or not? I saw this rule and thought it said to capitalize on titles? Or maybe it's not? Sorry still learning

Jun 23, 2019
Probably easier to watch a YouTube video on pipe upkeep, a pipe should be cleaned once or twice in 4/5 years...

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I use mineral oil instead of obsidian to keep the oxidation at Bay. As for cleaning it up, magic eraser as chasing embers has suggested, or toothpaste.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are a lot of ways to address the discoloration, all of which entail physically removing the oxidized material. I use Micro Mesh pads because, when properly used, I'll not only get back to black, but I'll also get back to a mirror like finish. Micro Mesh pads afford me better control against softening contours than using a buffer.

I prefer Paragon Pipe Wax to oil for creating a barrier between the vulcanite and oxygen, but whatever works for you.

One action that will retard the return of oxidation is to keep your pipes away from light and air when not in use.
This set is 114 years old and has had nothing done to it:

hzZwztQ.jpg

Except for the pipes I have in active rotation, none of my pipes are sitting out in racks in light. None of the collectors of fine pieces that i know keep their pipes out in the open. Put your pipes away when not in use and you won't see a return of the discoloration.

Smoke Queen

Jan 2, 2021
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Probably easier to watch a YouTube video on pipe upkeep, a pipe should be cleaned once or twice in 4/5 years..

There are a lot of ways to address the discoloration, all of which entail physically removing the oxidized material. I use Micro Mesh pads because, when properly used, I'll not only get back to black, but I'll also get back to a mirror like finish. Micro Mesh pads afford me better control against softening contours than using a buffer.

I prefer Paragon Pipe Wax to oil for creating a barrier between the vulcanite and oxygen, but whatever works for you.

One action that will retard the return of oxidation is to keep your pipes away from light and air when not in use.
This set is 114 years old and has had nothing done to it:

hzZwztQ.jpg

Except for the pipes I have in active rotation, none of my pipes are sitting out in racks in light. None of the collectors of fine pieces that i know keep their pipes out in the open. Put your pipes away when not in use and you won't see a return of the discoloration.
Ahhhhh I had them in a pipe rack and there was a fair amount of light ? thank you!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Whatever method you choose to clean, you can then use Obsidian oil regularly, when needed, as a preventive to fight oxidation.

Smokingpipes aka SPC has Obsidian.

Here’s an SPC video on using Obsidian Oil.

Reactions: jewman22

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mineral oil works quite well; no need to wait to get it.

All the above instructions are needed if you want a truly pristine stem, deep shiny black. For most of my pipes a simple rub down with mineral oil restores the stem finish that's smooth enough and black enough for my druthers.

(Then keep it out of bright light!)

Reactions: craig61a and scloyd