PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The "elegant band of mammoth" in the first description caught me eye and made me wonder where they sourced it but then the "elephant ivory" made sense as mammoths were ancestors of elephants. Still, I thought there was a ban on using elephant ivory.

The part that left me befuddled is "bowling ball stem" as I don't remember hearing or reading that description of a stem before.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I thought there was a ban on using elephant ivory.

The final US rule on the ban only went into effect in July of 2016; this pipe was made in 2011. So it was a legal adornment at the time Bruce made it, but as I understand it the pipe was not legal to buy or sell after mid-2016.

I should add though that between some (many?) collectors at least I think pipes with pre-ban ivory continue to change hands.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I used to deal pool cues a little and still have three with ivory. Because they are very old, all would be legal to sell almost anywhere in the U.S. except within the state where I live. As you can imagine, a lot of dealers got stuck holding 'difficult to sell' pool cues, as a lot of cue-makers used ivory on an everyday basis, especially joints. We argued the laws, and the reasons for them, in discussion forums until it became a very distasteful subject. A lot of people standing on pedestals.

You see very few of the 'ivory' cues for sale anymore, but they are all out there in various collections.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Interesting catch - not something I would have noticed.

Elephant ivory would put me off as well, even if it were a vintage piece.
I've got a few with ivory from Bruce, even one with hippopotamus tooth but the amount that I paid for the pipe just for the mammoth ivory accent really burns me after this discovery. I do like discovering that the briar is Algerian and the stem is vintage cumberland though.

The part that left me befuddled is "bowling ball stem" as I don't remember hearing or reading that description of a stem before
Dunhill used it quite often. It's now brindle/cumberland.

I think pipes with pre-ban ivory continue to change hands.
Several artisans are still using it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've got a few with ivory from Bruce, even one with hippopotamus tooth but the amount that I paid for the pipe just for the mammoth ivory accent really burns me after this discovery. I do like discovering that the briar is Algerian and the stem is vintage cumberland though.

Dunhill used it quite often. It's now brindle/cumberland.

Several artisans are still using it.
Ah! So more about the color of the stem than the shape.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Methinks someone was trying to stay out of legal trouble relabeling that as mammoth ivory. It certainly looks like elephant to me. Selling ivory is tough, mailing it a whole different beast.
Mammoth also sells for a higher premium. They could've just said "natural" accent. I see that one for ivory on ebay quite often.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
File under: "humble brag".
Or

File under : likes to buy the pipes of a sorely missed dear friend and got swindled three times the original price of an inexpensive pipe with false advertising.

Every time I click on "show ignored content", I'm reminded why I ignore it.

Reactions: CostalKid