Pipe Culture Documentary, "Father the Flame Flame" is Here!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
I watched it twice yesterday. Very well made doc and I think it would stand up against any other doc made. I enjoyed how it focused more on the historical asspects of pipe making through the generations and less on the smoking of the pipe. We all know there are plenty of docs on that. All in all an enjoyable film and extra good with a bowl or two of C&D Father the Flame to pair with the film.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
After a long day of work I got to come home, load up a Bjarne Nielsen with some Arcadia, and sit back and enjoy this wonderful film. I didn’t know what to expect but I really enjoyed it. They did a great job of describing the history of pipes without actually giving a history lesson, but obviously the main focus was family and friendships bonded with pipe making. Stunning cinematography and an absolutely amazing soundtrack. This documentary was done far better than some of the “critically acclaimed” docs I’ve watched. I look forward to watching it many more times.
I wish there was a little more information given about the Native American pipes and makers as the pipe in their culture is quite different from ours, but what was included was quite good.
On a side note the pipestone quarries at Pipestone, MN, are well worth a visit. It’s now a national monument however Native tribes are still allowed to quarry the stone. The visitor center usually has pipemakers there carving and answering questions and great information about how vast the trade network went from this one spot in western Minnesota.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much (not sure why), but this film was a really pleasant surprise. It was both visually compelling and moving. In my favorite moment of the film, Lee Von Erck is (visibly) grappling with some existential angst, and when asked what keeps him going in absence of a family and so on, he replies that it's "the fun" and all the aged tobacco he has squirreled away - he says something to the effect of, "Well, I've got to smoke some of it." The true motivation of tobacco hoarders is revealed! In all, a really nice meditation on legacy, family, mortality, interconnectedness, and other themes that's carried by a remarkably sympathetic cast of characters.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
I really wanted to support the filmmakers and buy this movie but it's not available in my country. I'm unconsolable... Any solutions?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I helped back this film, well I'm not sure how long ago, and I purchased it off Amazon Prime this morning. MONEY WELL SPENT. I'm glad I contributed $$ in such a minuscule way and really enjoyed the film.

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
I saw some copies on eBay for sale that are on DVD/ You can buy them that way

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
To those not in the parts of the world where this can be streamed on Amazon or itunes:
1. This may change in the next few months. International permissions are tricky business. You may be able to get specific country/zone release dates from the filmaker via their website.
2. If you are absolutely stuck for other options, I will purchase and ship internationally the DVD for any interested parties. Just reimburse me those costs. PM me.

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
@chilllucky
Thank you so much for the offer, that's very kind. For the time being I guess I'll wait a bit to see if the movie becomes available around these parts because, and I can't really blame anyone else for this - I also don't own a DVD player. But thank you again!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with this film. Quite short given the amount of time it took to make it. I will say it had an awesome score and some beautiful visuals but as a tobacco man myself I was hoping they’d get into the tobacco side of things. I think tobacco blending is just as much of an art form as pipe making, it would have been awesome if they interviewed some master blenders and visted some factories like the Gawith’s, Mac Baren, STG or even C&D. Anyway, I was happy to buy and support the film just wish they went a bit more in depth with it.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
Just discovered this post two nights ago. I was able to purchase through amazon prime on Comcast and watch on my tv. It was $10 to purchase or $4 to rent. I’ve watched twice now and really enjoyed it.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I pre-ordered from Amazon a while back. Anyone have any information on when the DVD will ship?
I just logged on to Amazon and searched the DVD. It claims delivery July 22 - Aug. 16
I would imagine they waited to get enough sales to warrant running a production of DVD's and keep the cost in control.
If you want to watch it right now, you can rent it on you tube for $4.

Status
Not open for further replies.