Pipe Culture Documentary, "Father the Flame Flame" is Here!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Pipe Culture Documentary, "Father the Flame Flame" finally comes to fruition after 7-years in the making!

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/father-the-flame-movie-a-must-see-for-pipe-smokers-and-non-smokers-alike/

the85boro

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2019
I am anxiously waiting to see this. I even have some C&D Father the Flame delivering today so I can smoke a bowl or two while watching the film.
I even have some non-pipe smoking friends excited to see it. Maybe they will transition from the dark side!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The trailer is up on iTunes. Don't know for sure if Pre-order means that it will be up to buy and watch tomorrow.
From the iTunes blurb:
Father the Flame

UHD

HDR

CC

Documentary

1 Hour 19 Minutes

Pre-Order: Expected Jun 4, 2019

5.0, 2 Ratings

In a small basement workshop in far Northern Michigan, master pipe maker Lee Erck loses himself in the dense grain of each pipe he creates, all the while counting on his work to last for generations. Brought to life in a stunning cinematic experience, this story speaks to a slower pace of life that weaves together a charming cast of characters. From the royal family of Danish pipe makers, to the Italian briar cutter known as the world’s greatest, to a fourth-generation Native American “peace pipe” maker, Father the Flame looks through the lens of the pipe to explore the the timeless values it seems to evoke. At once light hearted and deeply philosophical, the film immerses the viewer in a meditation on inheritance, family and the things we leave behind.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Old School types needn't worry, btw...
Amazon will be carrying it as a DVD:
:clap:
FtF.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks, Anthony. Apple will get my money when the goods are available.
I am delighted to see it's in UHD and HDR. My birthday TV will arrive on Wednesday, and that video will inaugurate it.
For those watching tomorrow, does a particular tobacco suggest itself for viewing?

Jan 8, 2013
Amazon will be carrying it as a DVD:
Even better! But I'll probably go ahead and buy the download so I don't have to wait. The DVD will come later.
Can I buy from the iTunes store and play on my android? Sorry for a most likely ignorantly stupid question.
It's only stupid if you don't ask. No, Itunes won't work on an Android. There's an App that's supposed to make that possible but I heard it was crap. Regardless, Itunes WILL work on a PC if you're able to go that route. If not, you can purchase the DVD.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A very nice editorial review for it on Amazon:
For centuries, the tobacco pipe has been a symbol of contentment and contemplation. Through the window of this transcendental artifact and its sacred origins, Father the Flame is a cinematic exploration of legacy, family and love. The film follows Lee Erck, a world-renowned pipe maker from far Northern Michigan, as he travels the globe to explore the nearly forgotten art of tobacco pipe making. Featuring a charming cast of characters-from the royal family of Danish pipe makers, to the Italian briar cutter known as the worlds greatest, to a fourth-generation Native American peace pipe maker- this story speaks to a slower pace of life, a luxury in our sped-up world. Beautiful and hypnotic, Father the Flame immerses the viewer in the cultural and spiritual significance of the tobacco pipe and what it can teach a modern generation about legacy and the things we leave behind.
https://www.amazon.com/Father-Flame-Lee-Erck/dp/B07QN8P3CL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PP3ZVTRYBE1G&keywords=father+the+flame&qid=1559627749&s=movies-tv&sprefix=father+%2Caps%2C205&sr=1-1

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
OK. I watched it twice today. Certainly enjoyed it very much and I'm sure everyone else will too. Two small, niggling criticisms: not a word bout tobacco and its complexities and more importantly, no mention of even one or two young American carvers.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Just finished watching. Well worth the money and time. I very much enjoyed the cinematography but was even more impressed with the story they were able to put together. Found myself getting emotional a number of times by how similar the story of pipe smokers seems to be; I feel more connected to my grandfather who passed a few years ago when I smoke the pipes of his I was fortunate enough to find and clean back up to ship shape.
Well done and thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.