PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkpipebear

Lurker
Dec 22, 2011
I have noticed a few of my pipes are cracking on the outside. Is there something I can use to prevent further cracking?
Also, are there any places to send my pipes for a professional cleaning?
Thanks.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Hard to say what's causing your problem, especially not knowing what your pipes are made out of. As for pipe repair, I second Philip's recommendation of Walker Briar Works.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
It would be helpful if you could post some pictures showing the cracks. As Markw4mms says it is hard to say for sure without seeing what has happened. But, off the top of my head, there are two main reasons that could cause a pipe to crack. Does your pipe get hot while you smoke? If you hold the bowl fairly tightly is it at all uncomfortable? Getting too hot could be one reason. The other is if your pipe bowl has a large build up of the carbon cake on the inside. As that will expand at a different rate to the wood, it can cause stress on the pipe bowl.
Hope you can post some pictures and can find out what is happening.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Pipes that I have seen with cracks to the bowl usually have far to much cake within the bowl, smoking pipes to hot can but rarely crack bowls, to be honest I have always scrapped cracked bowls that I have picked up, if they are repaired (super glued) they always have a weak spot. You will also find that you could buy a decent pipe for the cost of having one professionally cleaned.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Never seen a pipe with cracks on the outside.
Those must be some well-loved and well-smoked pipes.
As far as professional cleaning goes, I tend to think you could do a 'professional' cleaning yourself with some readily available household items.
This link should give you the idea.
Recently I sat down with my caked up Dr Grabow Grand Duke, some fine grit sandpaper, a ballpoint pen, some q-tips and a couple of paper towels and pretty much turned it new and smooth inside with only the slightest layer of cake remaining. I haven't had need yet to do the soak treatment that many do.

Jul 15, 2011
As far as pipe repair and professional pipe cleaning, J.M. Boswell is a pretty well renowned repair man, and the man makes the best damned looking and smoking pipes that I have ever seen. I have also heard that Floyd Norwood does good pipe repair work. If you go to google and type in Norwood Pipe Repair, he shouldnt be too hard to find.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
The only bowls that I have come across with cracks have been caused by far to much cake, most have looked like they have never been reamed.
I have heard that an internal sandpit can cause cracking but have never seen this, apparently this causes a hotspot and can cause a burn out but can also cause cracking, this is rare and as you have several cracked pipes it is more likely that you are not reaming your pipes enough. I have never cracked a bowl in 40 years of smoking so you must be doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.