PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

best-stuff

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Hi Guys, sorry for the bumpy entry here, to those who may have read. I formatted my request wrong so I'll try again.
I am very unknowledgeable about pipes, but do have a collection that needs to be sold. I am pretty much set that I'll be putting them on ebay but I honestly so in the dark about what exactly they are, all I can do is say I have a brown one I think is briar wood, nice carvings, a yellow stem, etc. I don't know the proper way to describe these.
Well, anyway, I will post some pics here to see if any of you would care to weigh in and help me to understand what it is I have. I will say that having not paid much attn to pipes before starting to research these, it's been a real eye opener as to just how cool some of the old pipes out there really are. Wow!
Also, and perhaps, ideally, if there were someone out there who was an expert on these, maybe in exchange for your help with the descriptions I need there could be a token of my appreciation. Is this allowed?
The collection I have was from a very prominent pipe industry leader in the 1940's-50's. I know many of these pipes are Kaywoodie based on the 3 leaf clovers. One pipe inlayed with mop dots bears the Collosal Pipe Factory "CPF French Briar" stamp. There are also a number of incomplete figural ones, some just stems with gator, and dolphins, one complete pipe looks like it belongs in the Civil War with a small pouch and cleaning tool attached.
And help, suggestions and comments will be much appreciated.
TIA
brian

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Those carved pipes look VERY SPECIAL, there are some Kaywoodie folks here that may be able to help you. Is pipe 7 a Kaywoodie also?

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'm pretty knowldegeable about the mundane Kaywoodie stuff. And I've never seen anything like what you have. Maybe they were part of a display showing off the ability of their carvers. Post the pics on the Kaywoodie forums. Kwguy has a long history with the company and is the man who can probably what they are. Even the face carvings without stems are probably unfinished Kaywoodie products.
http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/forum8.php

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
WOW! Those Kaywoodies are fit for a museum! :clap:

I'm no expert, but I'd venture that they are quite valuable, in unsmoked condition too. Quite the find there. Congrats. :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
This is from the 1955 catalog. The figural meers were priced at $100 in 1955! 8O
j2bVUac.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Holy $$ Batman. I am not sure that ebay is the best place - find a Kaywoodie collector group somewhere. Those need to be preserved. Awesome collection best-stuff.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is an amazing collection!! I have never seen Kaywoodies like these. If you are going to auction this off, keep it together as a collection. The serious players will come out for that. eBay isn't the right place for something of this quality. Go with a real auction house. The auctions get listed on line, so you're not losing that action. And an auction house won't pick your pockets like eBay does.

Definitely get feedback from a Kaywoodie interest group. You're looking at $$$$ here.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The Presidential heads were a Kaywoodie series. The pipes with black clovers on the stems are 1930s manufacture. The black in white and the white in black clovers came out with the 2 digit Flame Grains in like...1938 or so. So the pipes with those stems are after that. 40s-50s probably. Zowie! 8O

best-stuff

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Thank you guys very much for the input so far.
Does anyone have any ideas on pipes # 9 & 10?
Also, the Colossus Pipe Factory French Briar pipe is # 8. Would 1898 be about right for dating on that one?
I will post a few more in a little while.
Again, thanks a lot!
regards,

brian

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Number 9 looks like an opium pipe with a horn stem to be honest, but I'm about as far from an expert as you'll find here.

best-stuff

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
@ xrundog: I tried to join the forum you suggested http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/forum8.php approx 8 days ago and then again just before this post. They have me running in circles saying wrong password but then when I click "forgot your password?" it takes me to a page where it says just fill in your email and an email will be sent. When I try that they say sorry you have an inactive account. I've never been able to post anything there. amd there doesn't sem to be a contact us option either.
If anyone knows the kwguy also suggested, maybe he can be put in touch with me.
thx,

brian

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I'll post a link on the Kaywoodie Forum. I suspect Kwguy (Bill F.) is a member here as well. Most of those guys are. The real value in that collection are the completed Kaywoodie pieces. As they are mostly unique pieces, as such they are hard to value. Multiple hundreds for sure.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
There isn't a lot of action on the Kaywoodie forum. I sent Kwguy a PM. Might take awhile for interested parties to chime in.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am not near the expert Sablebrush or xrundog are but I have bought , and do own a lot of Kaywoodies and I have never seen anything like some of yours , Awesome collection. I agree with xrundog and the rest of the crew here , stay away from eBay and go with a reputable auction house . Xrundog named the man you need to talk to, Bill Feuerbach with S.M. Frank and Co. makers of Kaywoodies since 1955 , should be able to shed some light on what you have and help you with a value. Thanks for sharing and good luck !

best-stuff

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks very much guys. I actually had one correspondence with Bill F last week and was awaiting his reply on some further images I shared.
Funny, while I was trying again tonight to join the Kaywoodie forum I noticed a gif they have at the top of the page and one of my figurals, the skull, is on there. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.