PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The large briar carvings are masterful. I've seen a lot of wood carvings in my day and the attention to detail and execution are simply outstanding. One of a kind collection. I don't see how the more complex designs could have been more than a "one off" situation. You will never see those again. Thanks for posting. Really, really special collection there. Do an Auction house for sure. The above contacts are the way to go. Good Luck !

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
9,10 and 12 are curiosities. Somebody might collect that type of pipe, but I've never seen any interest on regular pipe forums.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I wasn't expecting that. Exquisite. How did you come by these?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Tony Soderman might be a good source for info, but it can be hard to catch his attention (he doesn't do commission sales, those on Ebay are his).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These look like high-end museum pieces. Don't under any circumstances modify anything or smoke anything. As suggested, sell it as a collection. A quality auction house will get a healthy commission, but you will make much more than you would trying to sell it yourself. I've read that Kaywoodie at one point was a high-end pipe and was priced above Dunhill's, maybe in the 20's and 30's. Learn a lot, and talk to more than one expert and more than one auction house.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I actually run the kaywoodie forum and I havent recieved a new member notice, went through my junk and spam folders just in case, if you try it again with a new user name perhaps?

best-stuff

Lurker
Apr 13, 2016
Hello guys;
Just wanted to check in with an update. But first I again wish to thank all of you who have commented both here on the thread and privately. This greenhorn is very appreciative.
I did end up going with ebay, at least for the first few pieces, I'll see how that goes. In the end, breaking up the collection seems like the best way to go since it would allow more prospective buyers an opportunity with respect to affordability compared with the collection as a whole.
I am attaching another item I have which I think, to be honest, would probably not have much appeal to pipe collectors unless they were *insanely* involved or addicted to Kaywoodie history but I'll run it by you all for your opinions.
It is a bronze sculpture of Kaywoodie President from the 1950's, Morris Levinson. From what I know, he was quite the philanthropist. He actually funded the rebuilding of Yale's Law School. In his honor, they named their law school auditorium after him. The bronze may end up there.
I figure it to be an unlikely item of interest to pipe aficionados.
Thanks again to all.
regards,

brian
BOB-bronze-1_zps4m8poobh.jpg
[/URL][/img]

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I agree with the pipes being broken up to allow more collectors an opportunity to own an interesting part of the companies history. there are a lot more people that can afford hundreds vs thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies.