PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Aloha all,

I’ve been smoking pipes for a few months now and I seem to go through pipe cleaners like crazy. I smoke a few bowls everyday, and will run three pipe cleaners through my pipe after every bowl. I’m not complaining as pipe cleaners are super cheap, but is this normal?

Also on a side note, I’ve just been using BJ Long pipe cleaners. Does anyone have any brand recommendations?

Reactions: Latakia Dave

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As many as it takes !

I have “normal” ones, bristle ones, thin ones, tapered ones and even coloured “craft” ones for my pipes with small bone tenons. I also have long ones for churchwardens, even though I don’t have one,

A dirty pipe results in a less than satisfactory smoke, so DON’T stint.

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Yep, whatever it takes. I can't stand gurgling, so I often will run a cleaner through the pipe mid smoke as needed. Usually use one after the smoke, both ends, to swab out the stem. It makes me wonder how folks cleaned their pipes many years ago before the advent of pipe cleaners? For that matter, how long have pipe cleaners been around?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yep, whatever it takes. I can't stand gurgling, so I often will run a cleaner through the pipe mid smoke as needed. Usually use one after the smoke, both ends, to swab out the stem. It makes me wonder how folks cleaned their pipes many years ago before the advent of pipe cleaners? For that matter, how long have pipe cleaners been around?
Early 1900's per reborn pipes : history of pipe cleaners – rebornpipes - https://rebornpipes.com/tag/history-of-pipe-cleaners/

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Try running some hot water through the stem after the pipe is cooled down. Blow out the stem to get rid of the extra water. One pipe cleaner is all it ever takes to come out clean. I then bend the pipe cleaner in half and push the folded end into the shank until it is visible past the draft hole and rub it back and forth. That usually all it takes unless the pipe is really dirty.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
Aloha all,

I’ve been smoking pipes for a few months now and I seem to go through pipe cleaners like crazy. I smoke a few bowls everyday, and will run three pipe cleaners through my pipe after every bowl. I’m not complaining as pipe cleaners are super cheap, but is this normal?

Also on a side note, I’ve just been using BJ Long pipe cleaners. Does anyone have any brand recommendations?
I use a pipe cleaner for every bowl. I love the Vauen blue/white pipe cleaners as they have no lint to deal with prior to pushing through a pipe. They can be hard to find though

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Try running some hot water through the stem after the pipe is cooled down. Blow out the stem to get rid of the extra water. One pipe cleaner is all it ever takes to come out clean. I then bend the pipe cleaner in half and push the folded end into the shank until it is visible past the draft hole and rub it back and forth. That usually all it takes unless the pipe is really dirty.
Are the only advantages to this method saving a pipe cleaner, or does it get the stem even cleaner?

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Are the only advantages to this method saving a pipe cleaner, or does it get the stem even cleaner?
Even though this method only uses one pipe cleaner, I don't do it to save pipe cleaners. It just gets the pipe as clean as I can get it without deep cleaning.

I should have mentioned that I scrape out all the dottle and blow out the pipe after smoking it. Then I run a bunched up paper towel around the chamber and blow out any remaining dottle. I let the pipe rest overnight.

The next morning is when I I run hot water through the stem (sometimes through the whole pipe but that's a topic amply discussed in other threads). I then blow the water out of the airway and dry the stem thoroughly with a paper towel. I don't want to put a wet tenon into the mortise. I use the slightly damp paper towel to ream out the chamber for a second time. I give a final blow through the pipe to get out any loosened debris and lint from the pipe cleaner.

Reactions: Akoni808 and Ag®o