PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Good evening ladies and gents,

I ran across a pipe today that caught my eye. It just looked good. It was stamped W E Bryant Southampton and sported a circle on the stem. I almost bought it but was unfamiliar with the make. I assumed it was made for a pipe shop, said W E Bryant Southampton. The circle on the stem was familiar, but I just couldn't put my finger on what company it stood for. I left the shop without it. Checking the internet this evening, I see reference to Orlik pipes made for W E Bryant Southampton. I'll be heading back to pick that baby up.

Does anyone have any information about this shop? And perhaps what time period the shop was in business? Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. Appreciate any info you can provide.

Cheers

Reactions: rushx9

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can't find anything on that shop - by they apparently sold pipes made by Orlik and Barlings (as did many others). J Guss will know, if he finds this thread.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Unfortunately in this case the name of the tobacconist isn't much help in narrowing the date of manufacture. W E Bryant was established by Wallace Edgar Bryant (1897-1981) in the mid to late Twenties. The shop first appears in the Southampton telephone directory in 1928, and continues to be listed at various locations through 1972. There is a gap in the phone books for a couple of years, but the shop is certainly gone by 1975. A notice in the London Gazette suggests the business was liquidated in 1972. Wallace, incidentally, over a number of decades periodically operated branches in other nearby towns.

Pictures of the pipe, particularly any nomenclature, might be useful to compare stampings with other Orlik models. Also if a specific address in Southampton is given anywhere would definitely help.

Last edited:

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
IMG_20191222_225307.jpg

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
So here are a few pics. I'll tell you something. There is a noticeable difference in stems that I've discovered with certain pipes that I have bought. Some of the older pipes have a higher grade of vulcanite IMO. The two pipes shown here fall in to that category. They just clean easier or have a smoother feel in the mouth, there's just something that makes them stand out.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
In this picture, the top pipe is the Orlik for W. E. Bryant and the bottom pipe is marker West Gate, Lightweight. London Made. I grabbed it along with the Bryant.
IMG_20191222_225407.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.