Pipe Bowl Pre-Carbonization....Love It? Hate It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm not really loving a pre-carbonized bowl. The first pipe I carved had no pre-carbonization. The kit pipe I carved didn't have it either. Sure, they burned a little as they developed the char, but the pre-carbonization has an even worse taste as it's smoked. I feel like I have to smoke something cheap in it to get it broken in since it just makes everything taste bad.
My Color Duke had it, but about half has peeled away by now. My new Kaywoodie has it, but I'm unsure how long it will take to either taste better or start peeling out like the Color Duke.
Anyone have any thoughts on it? Love it? Hate it? Don't care? What say you?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I believe you mean a coating, not actual carbonization, which would entail scorching the wood though flame or actual smoking.
Not a fan of coatings, but there are many formulae in play, some good, some not.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I'm indifferent. It started peeling off one of my Petersons but after a dozen or so smokes it's caked over and I've forgotten about it. Well, until you brought it up that is. Thanks a lot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm indifferent. I score extra points for a pipe that comes without a bowl coating, feel that it is a sign of enlightened craft. However, more of my pipes came with coatings than didn't, and I have not had any bad experiences -- bad tastes, uneven burning, airway clogging. Most pipe smokers, especially experienced folks, can start smoking a pipe without a coating and bring it along just fine. A beginner who puffs like a locomotive might start a burnout with no coating, but most of us didn't and don't.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I’ve never noticed or tasted a difference in my tobacco between a coated and an uncoated pipe. I don’t think my palette is that sensitive.

Sep 18, 2015
I’m not a fan of the coatings and have gone so far as to remove it on a couple of pipes, nowadays when I get one that’s coated I’ll go ahead and give it a try and if it’s not absolutely horrible tasting I’ll just smoke thru it.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
The easiest and best break in from any pipes I've had have been the carbonised pipes from blakemar briars. Linky
Although if I'm honest, I'm completely unfussed as to if a pipe is coat, raw or carbonised.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Although it's fact that burnouts are rare, makers typically coat. My feeling us that some influential cadre coated their pipes to hide flaws in the wood that might cost money, and that the practice caught on. If makers coat all their pipes, no one can question them about any one pipe's flaws whether or not it has one. Two noted US pipemakers said as much to me by email a few years ago. Or maybe financial worries somehow amounted to fearing burnout. If the reason is financial it would make sense given that there are many other easier ways to make a living.
The Italians don't coat without acquiring the reputation for burnout.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Big time pipe manufacturers coat the bowl because it gives the pipe a slightly higher chance of not being incinerated by an.... incautious... user. They don't control who buys the pipe or how it is smoked, and the chances of a first-time pipe buyer smoking way too hot are pretty high.
I don't coat, and I've had like... 1 or 2 pipes sent back to me with burn issues, and really when I think about it, I can't help but think they were user error, like trying to light tobacco that had already burnt kinda thing.
Todd Johnson did a nice demo with sodium silicate, proving definitively that the coating was helpful as regards torture-testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcDMaHT1khI

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For some, a light black coating of a smooth chamber may be a good visual thing- sort of like a coat that has a well sewn lining. For others who hate coatings of any sort, they can be sanded, coated with sugar or honey, or merely smoked away.

franbo

Lurker
Dec 21, 2018
No significant difference for me. Breaking in a non carbonized bowl just takes time and patience. I presume I’m not as careful with pre carbonized bowls; but it’s never been a dealbreaker either.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm noticing French made pipes come often with 'naked bowl chambers,Yet I do believe back in the days the majority of pipes had non carbonized chambers, personally I prefer bowls with no coatings,yes must confess,I have encountered almost burnt chambers as a result of my own incaution use.Those were reamed estate pipes with no coatings.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I prefer a coating, as I don't like breaking new pipes. But, it has to be the "right" coating.

Peterson coatings taste awful, but come with an alcohol dipped cloth.

Many artisan makers who coat, use a gelatin based concoction, which is flavor neutral, to my palate.

Status
Not open for further replies.