PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
I've seen a few of these blocks of briar with a stem and wondered about carving or shaping it into something reasonable. iI believe they are completely drilled. They just need shaped into some sort of bowl. Anyone ever try this? Seems like it would be tedious and difficult. Briar is hard stuff.

Reactions: dcon

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Take this with a grain of salt because I haven’t put my hands on anything from Mark, yet. However, I’ve ordered 5 blanks from him, so far. I ordered 2 and then found a style of pipe I really liked and wanted to try to replicate one so I went to order another one and realized (this is coming from a guy who has made exactly zero pipes, mind you) that none of the ones on his website seemed to have the proper geometry for my project. I wanted to make a poker with a fairly steep shank and the lines he’s drawn on his blanks to indicate the airway didn’t seem to match what I had in mind.

After a quick email with a photo to discuss what I was trying to make, he had another blank cut and drilled for me and mailed within a day. Already having my address from the prior order, he even shipped it before telling me the total cost so I could pay him.

I have also talked to Mark about buying a pipe from him and have been thoroughly impressed by the way he conducts his business.

I won’t sit here and tell you that his products are better in quality than anyone else’s, because that would be an unfounded claim. What I can tell you is that if his products are even remotely close to the level of quality that much more experienced people have indicated, he’ll get all of my business.

I’m sure other companies and makers are equally as dedicated to their customers and I don’t mean to imply that Mark is better than any of them in any way. I’m simply pointing this out to say that I’ve had nothing but great experiences working with Mark, and if the products are quality, then I see no reason to look elsewhere.

runningbare

Lurker
Mar 18, 2020
deep south