PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
105D23E4-B1D7-4022-B3B6-2288583B68FD.jpegI wanted to post my silly fix for a silly problem. Actually, many people told me something I didn’t want to believe: wooden stems turn soggy in your mouth and lead to deteriorating bits. One smoke made me realize the situation of this new pipe was untenable. By new, I mean newly acquired. I believe it’s very old. It has an orific stem. It’s very tiny and rubber pipe bits are just too large. My fix is rubber screw protectors with the end snipped off.

Attachments

• 2275189D-CB47-4FEA-A838-584C5000132D.jpeg
    2275189D-CB47-4FEA-A838-584C5000132D.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 22

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
so not a clencher then? But that does explain thee uncommoness of this style of pipe. I wondered what the issue was because if there wasn't an issue I'd assume that be somewhat more common. Pretty neat solution, though my solution is much simpler... Just stick with more commonmaterials.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
so not a clencher then? But that does explain thee uncommoness of this style of pipe. I wondered what the issue was because if there wasn't an issue I'd assume that be somewhat more common. Pretty neat solution, though my solution is much simpler... Just stick with more commonmaterials.
I had this pipe in my mouth for 20 minutes and it felt like I was chewing cardboard. Such a beautiful delicate thing too. I can’t imagine where this pipe came from or how old it is. But yeah, this just can’t work. No way. I would tell anyone who doesn’t like rubber bits (assuming they’re thinking of buying a bigger pipe than this) to forget it. Maybe people bought boxes of these, chewed them, and tossed them into the sea. Anyway, were you the person who recommended tape? I’m in Japan and I couldn’t quite figure what kind of tape you meant. I was looking at different kind of tape. I’m still happy I have this curious thing and it smokes surprisingly well. It’s just so tiny!

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had this pipe in my mouth for 20 minutes and it felt like I was chewing cardboard. Such a beautiful delicate thing too. I can’t imagine where this pipe came from or how old it is. But yeah, this just can’t work. No way. I would tell anyone who doesn’t like rubber bits (assuming they’re thinking of buying a bigger pipe than this) to forget it. Maybe people bought boxes of these, chewed them, and tossed them into the sea. Anyway, were you the person who recommended tape? I’m in Japan and I couldn’t quite figure what kind of tape you meant. I was looking at different kind of tape. I’m still happy I have this curious thing and it smokes surprisingly well. It’s just so tiny!
Orific bits were phased out in the 1920s
So pre-1930 (latest)
Most likely made in France.

Most of my pre-1920 pipes are small by today's standards.
Tobacco was an expensive indulgence then.

milk

Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Orific bits were phased out in the 1920s
So pre-1930 (latest)
Most likely made in France.

Most of my pre-1920 pipes are small by today's standards.
Tobacco was an expensive indulgence then.
Wow! Thanks for that! I do actually love it. So, it really makes me wonder how it lasted this long. It does have a small hole in the bottom of the bit but it’s still smokable, even more so with a makeshift rubber bit on the end.

Reactions: kcghost and OzPiper