PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom C

Lurker
Jan 23, 2021
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

It seems I am a bit of a clencher when it comes to pipes. More so if I working and get frustrated then if I am kicking back or doing something I really enjoy. So far the only thing I have found on the market are the little soft rubber tips but the just feel on in my mouth and bite thru pretty easy. I decided to see if I could make my own out of black vinyl hose which almost all hardware stores stock in various dimensions 1/2" or 5/8" id works best. I found I could hold a piece of the vinyl tube over a soft flame (I use an alcohol lamp since it doesn't get to hot. Once I get the right distance from the flame maybe 6" I leave it there and watch a the exposed rim starts to melt and form a button. Then I so the same to the other end after I cut it but only enough to take the sharp edge to a smooth one. I heat a cup of water in the microwave and using a pair of needle nose pliers dip it in the hot water for a few seconds then withdraw it and put the tube over the needle nose pliers and pull them open stretching the tube. Once I've done that a couple times the tube is sufficiently formed and with it over the pliers stretched I place it over the button on the pipe and work it down to where I like it and bingo I have a bite protector. They will always feel a little hard when you first put it in your mouth but body temp warms it toa very comfortable piece.

Attachments

• 1613329925639-452295869.jpg
    1613329925639-452295869.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom C

Lurker
Jan 23, 2021
Interesting strategy. Sensible and effective, from the looks of it. Keep us all posted on how it works out long term.
Actually I've been using them for some time now. I didn't want to jump the gun and tout these if they didn't work. For me they are perfect. If nothing else it adds one other modality I have not seen available. I am working on a way to produce them in small batches.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I admire the techniques in this thread but during my time I just bought them. The worst that can be said of them is that the ruin the aesthetic appeal of the pipe when photographed.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
Quite creative. I have used rubber bite protectors in the past and can't seem to get comfortable with them, too soft. This seems like a better option.
Fortunately, you can get them pretty much dirt cheap so I just replace as needed.

On another note. Clenching your pipe can just be a handy thing to be able to do.

Unless you are like me and have a really bad gagging reflex and having the soft rubber tips make all the difference in the world and allow me to clench most of my pipes without triggering the Gag Reflex which is not at all desirable.

Trust Me :-}

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
There was a thread a while ago about TapeCase. It’s a dry vinyl and it works fantastic.

Wrap it as thick or thin as you like. It sticks to itself and not the stem.

I really prefer this over anything I’ve tried

View attachment 66551
Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been using the cheap stem protector's and they work great for a couple of weeks.

Then they just start sliding up and down the stem and need to be replaced.

This tape sound's like it will solve my issues and Amazon is delivering a roll of it tomorrow!

Reactions: BROBS and ashdigger

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
My Falcons, Grabow, and Carey pipes all have nylon stems. I use them when clenching is required. They stand up to abuse and never oxidize.
I just can't stand the aesthetics of those rubber things, but I understand how pipe collectors and traders try to avoid chatter. Expensive or rare pipes just look like hell with those clunky things.
BTW, sex without a rubber is much more satisfying.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
There was a thread a while ago about TapeCase. It’s a dry vinyl and it works fantastic.

Wrap it as thick or thin as you like. It sticks to itself and not the stem.

I really prefer this over anything I’ve tried

View attachment 66551
I took your advice and ordered a roll from Amazon to give it a try.

Very happy I did ?

It takes a wee bit of practice but when you have the technique down, you end up with a nearly invisible soft vinyl cushion that protects your stem from "Clenching/Tooth" marks.

Reactions: ashdigger and bent1
Status
Not open for further replies.