PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
Hello all. Decided to end a few weeks of lurking by signing up with some questions! Am currently based in Seoul, South Korea, but have some access to a small selection of both American and European tobaccos at nearby tobacco shop.
Pipe background: Got two pipes to start off. A basic MM corb cob (around $10 in Korean money) and a Lorenzo Spitfire filtro briar (around $35), which came with a dark lining in the bowl. Didn't want to splash out much more in case hobby doesn't match expectations.
Tobacco background: Previous occasional cigarette smoker (usually when drinking too much to think better) and occasional cigar smoker. Prefer not to inhale. First pipe experience was with a No. 55 Astley's Elizabethan. Put in the Lorenzo briar and packed according to youtube instructions. Didn't really enjoy, seemed to taste much more like a cigarette than a cigar and had issues keeping lit. Decided pipes weren't for me and threw away the tobacco but decided to keep the pipe for a souvenir/display! BUT, a couple of weeks later, decided I didn't want to be put off that easily. Got the MM corn cob and stuck some Captain Black Royal in it. Much better packing and lighting and found the whole experience more interesting/even exciting. But this tobacco was a little nauseating, felt like I wanted to get away from the sickly sweet aroma. Didn't hate the aroma but just a little sickly. Now corn cob stinks of Captain Black. Went back to tobacco shop and decided to try something totally different, went for Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Wasn't crazy about smell on opening, a little like Laphroaig whisky (which I quite like but prefer other Scotch types). Taste was much better than smell, however, and none of the sickly sweetness of Captain Black Royal.
Questions:
1. What tobacco do you recommend I try next based on experience above? I am curious about all varieties and don't want to write any off, even aromatics despite finding Captain Black Royal sickly sweet.
2. Do I need to only use my corn cob for aromatics now or could an English blend or Virginia go in there and overcome the aromatic ghost in time?
3. I have used filters so far. Paper Medico with corn cob and Dr Perl with briar. They don't seem to hurt the experience but I don't know much better. Get decent flow of smoke and filters pick up oils and minor debris. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the filters? I am not keen on hurting my tongue and like the idea of filters protecting mouth from at least some toxins.
4. Not felt anything I would describe as tongue bite yet. But perhaps end of tongue feels a little rough after smoking, a bit like if I was rubbing my teeth too much. In fact it may just be from rubbing my teeth as I have a crown that's not fitting well. Is it normal though when starting to feel some sensation that's not painful or burning but just a very slight tingle or something?
5. If I am midway through bowl and don't want to finish it, how long can I leave the pipe before lighting again? At what point should I just tip it out? I found that I really like the first 10-15 minutes but then could do with a little break. Or maybe I only have time for 15 minutes before going back to work, for example.
6. I love the look of long pipes. Any recommendations that would use a filter that won't break bank?
7. Is there a good sweetspot for smoking pipes that provides pleasure/relaxation without too many health risks? I know this is all individual and mass statistics can only inform us so far. But I want to feel good about keeping things in moderation because I am not doing this for nicotine (don't mind nicotine hit but never craved it) but rather for reasons that could perhaps be best described in poetry.
Thank you in advance. Can't think of any more questions! It's such a nice community here, thanks for your time!

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
Regarding question 1, I might add that I found Early Morning Pipe to be the most cigar-like of the pipe tobaccos I tried, but I am not necessarily seeking that. In fact the heaviness and bitterness of a cigar goes past the point of pleasure into boredom fast in my opinion. I don't mind trying something lighter or sweeter, just don't want it to be so sickly sweet.
If it helps guide any suggestions, my tobacco shop has a range from Dunhill to Peterson to Samuel Gawith to Solani to Ashton to Rattray's to Mac Baren and more. Also, would appreciate any general advice on tobacco varieties rather than specific brands if it helps me refine my palate!
Thanks again!

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Try some of the easy going Burley tobaccos made under the Hearth and Home label.Their nicotine levels are low,so they won’t knock your Sox off and make your head swim,and are great for breaking in a new pipe.Smoke slowly,and avoid heavily flavored tobaccos If tongue bite is an issue.Pipe Smoking is really subjective,and personal tastes are a constantly evolving thing.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
1. I'd honestly suggest you try everything you can get your hands on. In my past incarnation I was an English only smoker, now I love aromatics... a lot.
2. I smoke a little bit of everything in cobs, Country Gentlemen and a Freehand, and they don't seem to ghost for me. It's not unusual for me to smoke 4 or 5 bowls of different aromatics in one of my Country Gentlemen throughout the day... then stuff it with an English for a before bed bowl. I'd suggest a 2nd cob so you can let them rest for a day before smoking them again.
3. It seems that the vast majority of American pipe smokers do not use filters. I am a very wet smoker... I have a bunch of Savinelli balsa filters coming that I hope helps with my drooling tendencies. Apparently filters are pretty standard in other parts of the world. Maybe they drool a lot too?
4. I'm sure that is normal. I've bitten myself but good more times than I care to admit.
5. Take as long a break between relights as you like. Lightly tamp the ash, relight, and enjoy.
6. Missouri Meerschaum makes some sweet looking Churchwardens, but I don't think they are filtered... but you might check. I think they are the "Hobbit" series or something. A Churchwarden should be a cooler smoke than shorter pipes... so lack of a filter might not bother you at all!
7. If I remember right, the Surgeon General's report that demonized tobacco found that cigar smokers lived on average as long as nonsmokers, and pipe smokers lived LONGER on average than nonsmokers. That said, combusting tobacco creates things that aren't great for us. Tobacco studies are intended to encourage cessation, not harm reduction. Swedish Snus is at least 98 percent safer than cigarettes (possibly completely harmless in fact,) but is banned in many countries for example. You'll have to do your own research and decide what you are personally comfortable with. You might get cancer. People that have never used tobacco do every day as well. I would bet I'm more likely to die on my motorcycle than from pipe smoking... and there is no way I'm giving up riding. It comes down to basically what you are comfortable with.
Welcome aboard and happy puffing!
Dave

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
Thank you for guys for the advice so far. Some very good points.
I'm sorry for asking questions that also cross over with some older threads, but just wanted to stick all my queries together in one place!
Will probably head back to the shop tomorrow to check out some untested blends.
Does anyone know if it is possible to have pipe tobacco shipped to South Korea? I will also ask around here, but was wondering if anyone had experience of shipping tobacco globally outside of the U.S., for example? I do have some military friends here so I could probably get some U.S.-based blends shipped here via that route.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4noggins ships internationally, and I've had no problems getting a pipesandcigars.com order through in Canada. The only concern is really the customs charge you are given when you package crosses the border. I'm not aware of what it is in Korea, but they can be quite expensive.
Oh and welcome to the forum!

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
You can order at 4noggins for safer shipment and tins are safer than bulk, try top rated tobaccos using the reviews. The reviews are generally accurate. Keep in mind though some reviews are for stuff that is aged and some are for fresh, so something can taste great when aged but be bland when fresh. Right off the bat try Chelsea Morning which is the superior version of EMP.

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
That looks like a very helpful website (4noggins) - thanks!
Chelsea Morning also looks very appealing.
Any thoughts on Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake? Reviews make it tempting and it's available locally in store. Is it likely to bite? Does anyone have any comparison between that and Astley's Elizabethan?

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Right off the bat try Chelsea Morning which is the superior version of EMP.
Came here to say this. EMP is not currently in production as well.
IF you're tyring out 4noggins - I would recommend two bulk blends they carry:
Old Limey Bastard is a mile English blend they obtained the rights to distribute - very nice
Bread Loaf is one I stumbled across in a samples pass with Burley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. I found it immensely enjoyable while not being overpowering.
Lastly - if you can get your hands on Samuel Gawith blends readily, I would try everything you can. They are generally thought of very highly as a blender.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Question five: I regularly use a bowl of tobacco over two days. I smoke in the evening often, but I will get off on tasks or diversions and will come back to the pipe the next day. Sometimes a little drying actually improves the blend. I also will mix a bowl or two in a crockery bowl and leave it for several days; again, usually the drying is a benefit.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
@blackadderlxx, even though I'm loving aromatics these I have got to get my hands on some Ol Limey Bastard! Supposed to be really close to my old favorite, Dunhill 965! I admit... I smoke mostly aromatics but I still enjoy English blends, and everything else lol!

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/673/lane-limited-ll-7
Nice thing with LL7, smells & tastes good.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
These are just my opinions below...you need to home in on what works best for you:
1. What tobacco do you recommend I try next based on experience above? I am curious about all varieties and don't want to write any off, even aromatics despite finding Captain Black Royal sickly sweet.
Try Lane 1Q for an aromatic and PS400 Navy flake non-aromatic...these would be good combo of not to sweet aromatic and a nicely blended VaPer
2. Do I need to only use my corn cob for aromatics now or could an English blend or Virginia go in there and overcome the aromatic ghost in time?
I don't ever worry about pipe selection with tobacco...don't worry too much about this...I smoke all sort of different tobaccos back to back out of the same pipe
3. I have used filters so far. Paper Medico with corn cob and Dr Perl with briar. They don't seem to hurt the experience but I don't know much better. Get decent flow of smoke and filters pick up oils and minor debris. Any thoughts on whether I should drop the filters? I am not keen on hurting my tongue and like the idea of filters protecting mouth from at least some toxins.
I only smoke using 6 mm Savinelli balsa filters...pick yourself up a box; not only is it healthier tar wise (marginally probably), but your teeth will appreciate it too (which is something no one thinks about)
4. Not felt anything I would describe as tongue bite yet. But perhaps end of tongue feels a little rough after smoking, a bit like if I was rubbing my teeth too much. In fact it may just be from rubbing my teeth as I have a crown that's not fitting well. Is it normal though when starting to feel some sensation that's not painful or burning but just a very slight tingle or something?
At some point you'll smoke something that burns the hell out of your tongue...be prepared.
5. If I am midway through bowl and don't want to finish it, how long can I leave the pipe before lighting again? At what point should I just tip it out? I found that I really like the first 10-15 minutes but then could do with a little break. Or maybe I only have time for 15 minutes before going back to work, for example.
If I know before hand that I can't finish a bowl, I don't pack as much into it...it's not necessary to fill the bowl all the way up
6. I love the look of long pipes. Any recommendations that would use a filter that won't break bank?
Savinelli pipes; look for the "6mm" in the description, then buy the filters I suggested above
7. Is there a good sweetspot for smoking pipes that provides pleasure/relaxation without too many health risks? I know this is all individual and mass statistics can only inform us so far. But I want to feel good about keeping things in moderation because I am not doing this for nicotine (don't mind nicotine hit but never craved it) but rather for reasons that could perhaps be best described in poetry.
Here's a paper "Association Between Exclusive Pipe Smoking and Mortality From Cancer and Other Diseases" published in 2004 which is probably the most extensive study done yet that also breaks down the number of bowls smoked per day...I can't find the link right now, but if you want me to send it to you via pdf, let me know. That said, I'm an econometrician, and the econometrics in this study are pretty solid. It compares the relative risks (i.e., Hazard Ratios) of certain cancers versus non-smokers. Table 3 in the paper lists the outcomes of the estimations from over 23,500 deaths, nearly 8,000 of which were pipe smokers. The most important inference from these results, in my opinion are lung and esophagus cancers. For the former, 1 - 3 bowls per day has a risk ratio (RR) of 1.99 with a 95% confidence interval of 1.21 to 3.99. This means that on average, a pipe smoker would be twice as likely to die of lung cancer than a non-smoker; but, you have to remember that the likelihood of a non-smoker catching lung cancer is very very very low...near zero, so being twice as likely as zero to catch lung cancer is also a very low likelihood. This rises to 5.23 for those that smoke up to 6 bowls per day; but again, this means that you are 5 times as likely to catch lung cancer as someone that doesn't smoke. Frankly, outside of a coal mine or shipyard, I've never known a non-smoker to catch lung cancer, so even this number probably doesn't mean much. This number goes up to nearly 8 for those that smoke more than 11 bowls per day, so this ratio could be interpreted by some to be quite high.
For cancer of the esophagus, they only have results for those that smoke up to 6 bowls a day, and that risk ratio is 2.41 with a 95% confidence interval of 1.25 to 4.62. This is a huge standard error. Essentially this means that on average, compared with a non-smoker, a pipe smoker smoking up to 6 bowls per day is 2.14 times as likely to catch throat cancer, but this estimate can range from a very low 1.25 to 4.62...again compared with a non-smoker, not many of whom catch throat cancers to begin with.
There is another study titled "Cigar and pipe smoking and cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition" published in 2010 that looks at pipe smokers but not really broken down by the number of bowls smoked per day (they cite less that 14 bowls per day), but they do look at mouth and throat cancer (what they call upper aerodigestive), which is also important to us; they find (and I'm just taking a cursory look at the paper right now, so its just a quick appraisal) that pipe smokers are 2.2 times more likely to catch mouth cancers relative to non-smokers with a 95% confidence interval of 1.3 to 3.8.
In my opinion, and its a rule I live by because of these studies, I stay around 3 to 5 bowls per day...I figure that is quite safe.
I know it was long, but hope it helps.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
First off, I am a little jealous! I would love to be able to visit a shop that has such a wide variety of tobaccos to try, but alas, it is almost impossible3 to get any type of pipe tobacco in Panama.Anything I want to try, I need to order sight unseen from the US. My only source of advice is this forum.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
That Laphraoig-like smell you noticed in EMP is the Latakia, which is a tobacco cured over a smoky fire, similar to how the Laphroaig malt is dried over a smoky peat fire. It sounds like you didn’t mind the taste, so maybe try some more blends that are light in Latakia. Also, try some non aromatic blends with no Latakia as well to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.