PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
How much tobacco would fit into a pint size mason jar. Obv I know it depends on the blend and what it is "flake, ribbon, cake etc" but on average how much would it hold

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I've just started cellaring, and I generally get 8 ounces in a quart jar. More if it's pressed in some way. A tiny bit less if it's really loose.
I'm gonna guess a pint will hold =/- 4 ounces.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
It's pretty elementary, but it can be easy to confuse the difference between fluid ounces and dry weight ounces.
A quart jar holds 32 fluid ounces, and it will hold 8 dry weight ounces of ribbon tobacco with a little packing.
If I didn't do some packing, I'd have a crazy number of jars...already have around 250.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
My experience (rule-of-thumb): 1/4 of the jar's volume, contingent on the cut & dryness of the tobacco

Half-pint (8 oz volume) = 2 oz tobacco

Pint (16 oz volume) = 4 oz tobacco

Quart (32 oz volume) = 8 oz tobacco

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Yah I bought pint jars. Although it did fit 4 oz dunhil nightcap I had to jam pack it. I normally wouldn't have but seeing how I'm smoking everything that's in my pint jars and not aging them it's fine with me lol

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I like that shape , square wide mouth, for tobacco that I am using. The wide mouth is good for loading the pipe. However, They do not stack worth a dam. So, the standard 8 oz jars are better for aging and long term storage as I can stack them two high. Then transfer the contents to a wide mouth.
NOTE: I have been putting the 8 wide mouths I have into the original packing for tobby storage .FWIW.
:puffpipe:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm with Cossackjack on this one:

My experience (rule-of-thumb): 1/4 of the jar's volume, contingent on the cut & dryness of the tobacco

Half-pint (8 oz volume) = 2 oz tobacco

Pint (16 oz volume) = 4 oz tobacco

Quart (32 oz volume) = 8 oz tobacco

dylanstaton2

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Yah I got to get a couple bigger ones as I'm getting more and more to the tobaccos I'm really enjoying more and some of which I can get in bulk I plan on buying some in bulk that way I have it on hand all the time. I did notice though I could fit a lot more flake tobacco then I could ribbon cut in these jars.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I always pack as tight as I can. Less air: Quicker to get to anaerobic aging. I also weigh the empty jar, then weigh after packing, and write the weight of the tobacco on the lid. Just one way to do it.

Mar 1, 2014
8oz of ribbon will fit in a 16 fluid ounce jar with compression (use a thick rounded piece of wood), the only real trouble I've had was some Autumn Evening that was dry enough to spring back every time you push on it, I was leaning on it fairly hard just to have enough time to get the lid on. With a bit of moisture it'll sit where you pack it.
You might need a big spoon to get it out later though, it doesn't always want to come willingly after being packed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.