PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
His name doesn't show up very often here - so I thought I'd use getting my third commission as an excuse to show Pietenpauw some love.

Jean made a rhino pipe called Hope a while back which I think is stunning - it's on his website & well worth a look.

Having stared at it for much too long, I asked him if he'd be happy to make another rhino. Which he did & I'm super-happy with it.

I really like how different it is from Hope - whilst still being incredibly rhino-like. Here it is, Son of Hope:
IMG_20211009_154421.jpg

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
That's five of his pipes I have now - & I think they're astonishing value for money (these cost between $139 & $169).

His drilling is 100% spot on, really exceptional. The mouthpieces are a tad thicker than I'd like & he mainly uses acrylic & coats his bowls (which doesn't bother me, but I know is an issue for some).

They DO take forever to arrive - but given where they're coming from & how little he charges for postage, that's pretty understandable.

Anyway, here they are:
IMG_20211009_154450.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Great pictures and pipes. That swan neck is awesome. I'm jealous. Been a fan of his Pipes for some time and currently own 2 of his leadwood pipes. Load, smoke, & repeat. Tough pipes. I hike & shoot with them, etc. Wish he would make more. He's been doing more briar lately. I agree, the delivery time on the last one I bought was very long compared to past purchases years ago. Thanks for taking the time to post. Always like seeing his work out in the wild.

Reactions: Toast

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
currently own 2 of his leadwood pipes.
I keep missing those when he posts them (rarely, as you said). The build quality is petty robust - I can see them being very fine outdoors pipes

Glad you liked them!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Hadn't heard of him before but the work speaks for itself; it looks very well made.
So many good pipe makers in the world. What’s a guy to do? ?
Is there a list somewhere on this forum of all the artisan pipe makers that take commissions? I've got some ideas for pipes but don't know where to start looking.

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Hadn't heard of him before but the work speaks for itself; it looks very well made.

Is there a list somewhere on this forum of all the artisan pipe makers that take commissions? I've got some ideas for pipes but don't know where to start looking.
No list - though there are a lot of posts about pipe makers to look out for (& forum members seem to have a pretty good hit rate at identifying them).

The vast majority of artisans take commissions, the trick is finding someone who wants to make the pipe you want them to make.

So if you can find someone who's made something in the same ballpark, that's a good start!