PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

Hi,

I've been smoking briar for over 10 years and am now finally getting my first meer (a baki, from lurking it seems to be the number one, if not a top choice). I understand that you can't use a standard reamer on it, most videos and posts say to instead use a tobacco knife/towel with water. What I am having a hard time finding though is what the bowl should look like after a proper reaming.

It should take some time until my meer gets here from China so while I wait I would be more than thankful for any pictures of your meers after cleaning the bowl. While there are many, many, many videos discussing the numerous ways to wax the pipe no one really touches on this that I can find (or maybe they go over it after talking for 20+ minutes on waxing I dunno). Also any tips for a completely new meer smoker would be more than appreciated.

Reactions: diamondback

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I ream mine under it's monthly hot water wash. I've never worried about it. First pic is one I did last week.

Random second/third before/after picture. This is my beater meer that I finally did my experiment of boiling it in a pan with black cavendish, just to see what the color would do. I boiled it for maybe an hour. Turned a mocha color and lost a little character. The interesting effect is that it adds a residual cavendish sweetness to anything you smoke in it. Ordinarily that would annoy me, but I love it for Black Frigate. I keep meaning to play around with other blends, but I like it for Frigate so much I just keep using it. After 10 bowls, the sweetness has not diminished at all.

Attachments

• 2020-01-19 15.38.01.jpg
    2020-01-19 15.38.01.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2019-11-22 14.59.29.jpg
    2019-11-22 14.59.29.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 2020-01-19 15.48.09.jpg
    2020-01-19 15.48.09.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I love this! Thank you, @nick24601! I’m closing in on my first meer, and frankly I’m kind of leery of them b/c I don’t really know how to care for meerschaum.

I was going to slide questions to @chasingembers snd @olkofri, and others on the sly!

?
LOL. I'm learning as I go too! I just learnt I need to buy baby wipes! Makes sense, though, the paper towel is indeed a bit abrasive. Keep in mind that sepiolite has a Mohs hardness of 2 (only talc is softer), and thus can be scratched by pretty much anything, even a finger nail (Mohs hardness of 2.5).

Here, see this quick reference: Mohs Hardness Test - https://www.oakton.edu/user/4/billtong/eas100lab/hardness.htm

If a copper penny (Hardness = 3) can scratch a Meerschaum, imagine what the steel from a Czech tool's spoon or, Heaven help us, a reamer would do! :eek:

• Love

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
You should not have to reem a meer really ever unless you buy a dirty one via the estate market. After each smoke you are best off to wipe with a paper towel and then use fluffy cleaners until clean
I do this after each bowl and I still have a thin carbon build up.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I do this after each bowl and I still have a thin carbon build up.

+1 ... I always do this, but I still get some build-up over time...and I occasionally have to ream.

I’m closing in on my first meer, and frankly I’m kind of leery of them b/c I don’t really know how to care for meerschaum.

Embers' baby wipes suggestion is probably a good idea, and maybe it would prevent ever having to ream...I don't know. But I've never been one to "baby" my meers. I don't handle them any differently than a briar, and haven't had any problems with them.

I even have three that had bad draws, and I just opened them up a little with a regular cordless drill and they smoke fine now.

The only difference from a briar is I never use alcohol except on the stems of course. I just occasionally use doubled-over pipe cleaners to run through the shank for a better cleaning.

One of the reasons I like meers is to me they are low maintenance. But follow my advice at your own risk lol.

• Love

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Well here we go! I am a heathen. I run a pipe cleaner thru mine and double over the pipe cleaner and swab the bowl. That's it. I use Philtapad or meer plugs in the pipes I smoke the most. It helps color them the way they did back in the day. When they become nasty,I "CAREFULLY" remove them, take a Swiss Army knife and ream the bowl out. NEVER do I take my very old ones apart as it will not end up well. ( I know from experience)...
zSPYNn4.jpg

ZWMUGZx.jpg

TionzOP.jpg

xYq3zKs.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
+1 ... I always do this, but I still get some build-up over time...and I occasionally have to ream.

Embers' baby wipes suggestion is probably a good idea, and maybe it would prevent ever having to ream...I don't know. But I've never been one to "baby" my meers. I don't handle them any differently than a briar, and haven't had any problems with them.

I even have three that had bad draws, and I just opened them up a little with a regular cordless drill and they smoke fine now.

The only difference from a briar is I never use alcohol except on the stems of course. I just occasionally use doubled-over pipe cleaners to run through the shank for a better cleaning.

One of the reasons I like meers is to me they are low maintenance. But follow my advice at your own risk lol.
:eek::eek::eek:

And here I was thinking you were the expert in Meerschäume to consult!

nick24601

Lurker
Jan 19, 2020
Well here we go! I am a heathen. I run a pipe cleaner thru mine and double over the pipe cleaner and swab the bowl. That's it. I use Philtapad or meer plugs in the pipes I smoke the most. It helps color them the way they did back in the day. When they become nasty,I "CAREFULLY" remove them, take a Swiss Army knife and ream the bowl out. NEVER do I take my very old ones apart as it will not end up well. ( I know from experience)...
zSPYNn4.jpg

ZWMUGZx.jpg

TionzOP.jpg

xYq3zKs.jpg

When you read them do you go until it's white? Or more streaked like@tkcolo?

Status
Not open for further replies.