PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I recently purchased and opened a tin of 22 year old Butera Dark Stoved. I missed out on getting McClelland 2035 and Dark Star so I'm trying to find any available alternatives. The owner said it was stored properly. The tin was bulging. I know this is typically a good thing, but I was recently burned by 2 tins of Two Friends that I purchased in Chicago. One tin smells like straight up mold, and the other tin smelled like fermented liquor. So...I cracked it open while holding my breath (due to suspense). As soon as it cracked it smelled wonderful!...and still does! But as I peeled the lid back, the tobacco looked gray at first. My excitement faded as I immediately thought that this too is not good anymore. But, after closer review, there is a chance this is a goldmine of sugary goodness! But there is still the fear that this is mold. It smells like the sweet raisin goodness that I was hoping for. If I place my nose on the rim and stir the flakes, I do get a slight hint of fermentation. I'm not sure if this is good or bad.
ANYWAY, I figure there are people here that can help me out and share their opinions. Thanks everyone.
1996 Butera 1

1996 Butera 2

1996 Butera 3

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Photo is too soft and bright to tell.

Look at it with a magnifying glass. If it’s hairy, it’s mold. If it’s not, it may still be mold, but it’s certainly not sugar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please embed your photos. Saves us from extra waiting and clicking. Just paste the link into the IMG tag.
img-4410-600x450.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If it's fuzzy or hairy, it's likely mold. If it sparkles and/or looks like crystals, it's probably mineral deposits and should be good to smoke.
When in doubt, throw it out. You only get one set of lungs. Tobacco can be replaced.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
It looks like bloom to me. Do you have a loupe or magnifying glass (both are cheap)?
Take a look with some magnification. If it looks crystalline, then smoke and enjoy. If it looks hairy / fuzzy, it’s mold, so throw out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I recall reading somewhere, probably Greg Pease, that the crystalline, silvery stuff is probably dried or oxydized oils -- but certainly not sugars as it's not soluble in water. Sticking with the scatological references, I'm guessing it's bacterial poop.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
I have a microscope at work. I can’t believe what I found!!! Check out my new post titled “Brown Sugar Goldmine!”

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Mmmmm ... bacteria poop! I love honey, which is bee vomit, so no issue smoking some bacteria poop here!
My prediction is that the crystalline strucutre is formed due to microbiology giving off a gas during anaerobic processes that interact with the oils in tobacco (cystal formation via vapor, which is the rarer crystal formation method of the three crystal formation methods: vapor, solution, and melt).
You read it here first :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.