PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrblount

Lurker
Apr 7, 2019
I scored some Prince Albert, Half & Half and Carter Hall yesterday at a discount tobacco store. All less than $3 a pouch. I’ve had 2 bowls of Carter Hall so far, one in a MM Cob and one in an old briar. Undecided about the Carter Hall but I’m new to all of this so I’m probably just slow. It was, IMO, better in the briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A tour of some classics. You might also like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Five Brothers, among others. Good pouch tobacco can be as good as, or better than, some tinned.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I just bought several to try myself. Honestly, most ended up in the trash. Carter Hall I liked a bit. Sir Walter Raleigh and Half & Half were just okay. Sail Dutch Cavendish and Velvet tasted like cigarettes. Backwoods Black & Gold was too sweet, too sticky, with too much PG. Prince Albert was the absolute worst tasting tobacco I ever had. It's a shame because I was hoping to find one I liked enough to make it my daily go to. Guess I'll be sticking to PS Luxury Twist Flake for that. I hope you have a better experience.

jrblount

Lurker
Apr 7, 2019
@tschiraldi

I tried my first bowl of PA this afternoon and I think I actually like it better than Carter Hall, but I still need time to see where my tastes develop.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
That's what makes our activity so wonderful! The adventure of discovery, and everybody's journey is unique!

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I continue to advocate CH and PA. Great American Burleys, each has its own character, and both at a great price.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
In my relatively short pipe-smoking journey, I started with more "high end" blends, and only got around to trying Prince Albert about six months ago.
At first I thought that "stale raisin" smell was kind of odd and very different from the other tobaccos I had tried. But after smoking some, I have to say I find it very pleasant. To compare it to beers, I'd say it's like a Guinness stout--it's mass-produced, and there are a lot more interesting, flavorful beers out there. But there's a reason it's been around so long and has been so popular.

Reactions: Idahojoe

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Probably my imagination, but CH in a tub taste better to me than a pouch.

I keep one around for smoking when I don't know I want or a quickie, cheaper.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I toured the codger line-up, I bought tubs.

What I discovered for me, and this was relatively early on, like, first year, was that each time I switched to a new blend, it would take me awhile to enjoy the change.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Instymp, it's not your imagination. The tub is very different than than the pouch. And I like the tub better as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.