Phillip Morris to stop producing cigarettes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiepiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2019
I just read that Phillip Morris is hoping to end production of cigarettes and focus solely on smoke free products? The article is at newsweek.com
I wonder if/how this will cause any ripples in the pipe tobacco area?

okiepiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2019
https://www.newsweek.com/marlboro-philip-morris-international-stop-making-cigarettes-smoke-free-1285076

I predict a sharp increase in chicken wing surpluses.

pipejoke82.jpg

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Government : Supports " A smoke free future because tobacco is harmful."

Also Governments: "Want some legal weed to smoke?"

Both weed and tobacco are combusted and therefore produce carcinogenic chemicals.

My Point: We will never see a smoke free future. What we are currently seeing is a shift of culturaly accepted drugs.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The idea that PM is doing the socially responsible thing for that reason is very dark and absurdly humorous. They're positioning themselves for maximum profit. They're lying sacks of shit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whatever the corporate strategy is on this one, the intra-corporate politics probably make the national scene look absolutely Jeffersonian by comparison. It's not so much a question of which corporate executive is best at predicting the most lucrative market tactics, but who has what on whom. How do you take really big money and make much bigger money, and get a lot of it for yourself. I wish there were a little more behind it than that, but I can't see what it is. The big outfit may just have a better revenue stream for their billions, which is what they want, and all they want. As was said of Philip of Macedonia, Alexander the Great's father, when asked what does he want, the answer was, "More."

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ok, Who cares? What Sable said.
They’ll keep producing what makes a profit. People quit smoking cigarettes when they stopped believing the lie that “Kicking the habit is harder than kicking HeRon”. People quit smoking when they figured out Vaping, Cigars, and Pipe tobacco taste better. Oh, and people quit smoking cigarettes, when smoking pot became the cool thing to do.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
People also quit smoking when it becomes debilitating, too expensive, and a myriad of other reasons. I haven't found a reason to quit cigarettes, cigars, pipes or an occasional chaw. But, one thing I'd bet any amount of money on is PM doesn't do anything unless it would enhance its bottom line. Admirable behavior I dare say.
Phillip Morris is simply trying to stay ahead of the curve and anticipate where the moneys will be found in the decades to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.