PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Had a little olfactory brain glitch happen the other night while I was smoking some ODF and thought I was smoking DSF for a second. Made me want to pick up a few tins of the latter but it seems it’s been out of stock or hard to come by for quite some time. Are there any other Virginia/Kentucky flakes available that are similar enough?

Reactions: ofafeather

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Supposedly HU Aus dem Krater No. 5 is a close match. I just ordered some so we’ll see. It’s probably good regardless. The Aus dem Krater Plug is a classic you would probably like as well. And if you like vapers No. 2 is incredible.

Reactions: ofafeather

jyrreb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 6, 2019
Bumping this to ask you all a question. I just got my first tins of Dark Strong Flake and the tin description says Black Cavendish, not Kentucky… haven’t cracked the tin yet but I imagine a quick sniff would tell the difference. Anyone else seeing this one their new tins? Always been this way?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Had a little olfactory brain glitch happen the other night while I was smoking some ODF and thought I was smoking DSF for a second. Made me want to pick up a few tins of the latter but it seems it’s been out of stock or hard to come by for quite some time. Are there any other Virginia/Kentucky flakes available that are similar enough?
ODF is nothing like Dark Strong Flake for me. ODF is a much cleaner taste, woody and somewhat dry, while DSF is a lot sweeter, smoother and noticeably heavily cased. I much prefer ODF by the way.
I also see jyrreb’s post above and wanted to say that after smoking a fair bit of DSF I couldn’t believe all that black stuff is DFK. It hasn’t got the texture, strength or taste of DFK, my bet is some sort of flavoured Cavendish which I’ve spotted in a few German tobaccos. Comparing it with DFK bombs like SG Lakeland Dark or HH Bold Kentucky, or G&H Dark birdseye - these showcase both the flavour and strength of DFK, and are nothing like DSF.