Petroleum/Diesel Smell in New(ish) Vauen Pipe ??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
Final Update: It was definitely the two chamber coatings - The first coating next to the briar was like grey primer, the second one was the black carbonized coating. Maybe it was some kind of a glue to hold the pre-carbon coat on. I ended up sanding most of them off - about 80-90%. I washed the chamber; let it dry then re-coated it with a lightly flavored alcohol, let it dry. I then smoked a bowl of Country Squire Old Tobey and used the ash to re-coat the bowl. All smell and taste of diesel/petroleum seems gone now and the pipe smokes sweeter (for now). Thanks for the responses and suggestions; much appreciated ! ?
Glad it worked for you Hillcrest. I was ready to suggest an alcohol bath overnight.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Glad it worked for you Hillcrest. I was ready to suggest an alcohol bath overnight.
That didn't work...tried it twice. It was the grey undercoat in chamber that was some kind of oil based ... like paint but not ... once gone...no more taste and smell. It had to be removed physically. Pipe is now one of my regulars and building up its own carbon layer nicely.

Reactions: Browny