PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I ordered a free tin of this along with a Peterson pipe, based on reviews of all of those offered. It seemed like the only one I might enjoy, being as it is called an English blend. Well, if it's an English then I'm a two-headded giraffe. The tin note is not bad, and the room note is pleasant. It smokes cool enough. But to me it tasted like smoking a bar of soap, although I'm willing to accede that some of that might be due to it being a new pipe. I'll give it more tries (never look a gift horse in the mouth I always say) but as of now I can't see me buying a tin of it.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Hyde Park is an interesting one. The smell, I think, is wonderful, a bit reminiscent of Chinese medicine shops, and the flavor has a brown sugary/maple taste. It's not surprising that you might taste soap. I've read that Hyde Park is produced in the UK (most likely by Gawith Hoggarth & Co, which might explain the lakeland floral/soapiness) for Peterson's of Dublin.
I have to be in the right mood for Hyde Park, and I find myself reaching for other tins in this weather. Jar it and stow it away in a dark corner and come back to it in the future.
-Swilly

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
It isn't you SB. It's a lakeland. I jarred the rest of mine and made it sit in a corner. Not my thing.
Crazy eh? What tastes fantastic to some is just a swing and a miss to others. That's one of my favorite parts of this hobby that we share.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The choices they offered in the freebie promotion were, beside Hyde Park: Deluxe Mixture, Gold Blend, Luxury Blend, Nutty Cut, Old Dublin and Sunset Breeze. I ruled out each of the others based on the contents and/or reviews. Hyde had the most positive reviews, and the description, which I now believe is utterly deceptive. I think they should rename it Irish Spring :x

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
They say the Lakelands are an acquired taste, that is true, but they're one that I really don't want to acquire! I've had Hyde Park and found it to be like smoking a rose bush, with a sprinkle of laundry detergent on the side! To my taste, Lakelands are terrible! I've also had Grousemoor, which was just as bad to my taste, but with a slightly different flavor profile.

The Hyde Park was a small sample from a friend, but the Grousemoor unfortunately, was a whole tin I had purchased! I only smoked the one bowl, and recently gifted the rest to a member here who wanted to try it. I've tried somewhere around 100 different tobaccos, and the Lakelands are the only ones I can't tolerate!

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I just received this yesterday, and have only smoked one bowl this morning.
The reviews are definitely a bit deceptive. They describe it as having "some" lakeland flavor. They are wrong. This is lakeland all the way, and about as lakeland as it gets.
I thoroughly enjoyed my first bowl. If it was available in bulk, I would probably smoke this regularly.
But I'm a heavy lakeland smoker as you know, so no surprise I very much liked it. I really like ready rubbed flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.