PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I picked this up inexpensively, if it’s been used at all it was not much. Does anyone have any idea about the age of it or anything? I know nothing about Peterson!

acdsXVc.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm very far from being an expert but that is an unusual pipe. Are there any other stamps or marks? Anything indicating Country of manufacture?

I'd hazard to guess that this isn't a Peterson pipe from Ireland but maybe some other Peterson brand. Maybe a local shop or something like that. Imported briar would seem to suggest an American pipe from around World War II when it was desirable to differentiate hard to obtain briar from other, perhaps inferior, wood. At any rate I'll be curious to read what other more knowledgeable folks have to say about this rusticated pipe.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I was wondering about that possibility, that it wasn't really a Peterson - no other marks

but the script seems to be the right script

Jan 8, 2013
Probably named for the "Peterson's" pipe shop in the US (New York?) not a "Peterson".
See thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/another-question-about-a-peterson-fake-or-real
Beat me to it.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Probably named for the "Peterson's" pipe shop in the US (New York?) not a "Peterson".
See thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/another-question-about-a-peterson-fake-or-real
Ha! That is an interesting old thread that seems to support my hunch.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Not all have bands. I was thinking this might be a Peterson 2nd. But, I just read the above thread so am now leaning towards it not being a 2nd.

Jan 8, 2013
Although everything about me screams that this isn't a Peterson pipe, we can't rule out the stamping, "Peterson's" as it is sometimes used. For example, my Peterson Grafton pipe is stamped so. Peterson's above Grafton. I have a few others like that as well. And I have seen legit Petersons stamped "Peterson's" in that script. I just wanted to point that out. If there are any stamped "Imported Briar," I can't recall. I don't remember seeing that before. But I still hold true to my belief that this is not an actual Peterson's of Dublin pipe. It doesn't look like any Petes I've seen. But I could be wrong.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Peterson stamping practices have been questionable at best over the decades according to a few websites I've read while trying to date a pre republic system pipe. Anything is possible but adding two extra characters to the stamping is a stretch

Aug 14, 2012
Peterson's pipe shop in NYC had nothing to do with the Irish Petes except they sold them. The owner of Peterson pipe shops was named Silverman. I worked there as a teenager in the 1950s.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
A lot can happen in 150+ year history--so I don't think I can deal in absolute certainty--but I seriously doubt Peterson (as in Kapp & Peterson, in Dublin) made that pipe.
I think that's almost certainly a shop branded pipe from an American pipe shop, probably made between the mid-1930s and mid-1960s. That 'IMPORTED BRIAR' stamp is really similar to ones used by a number of manufacturers during that era. And the shape makes me think mid-20th century American manufacture too. Reminds me of Kaywoodie.
So, if I were pushed to guess, it was a second from the Kaywoodie factory sold as a shop-branded pipe. It could easily have been another manufacturer, though. While I've seen a whole lot of them, I'm really not an expert on mid-century American pipes.
Sykes

Status
Not open for further replies.