PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Stevo

Lurker
Feb 11, 2023
Hey guys, this is the first what I would consider “nicer” pipe I’ve bought. I’ve only been smoking pipes for a year or so now and before this Peterson, only smoked from a Legend corn cob (so that’s my only reference going into this question). I got this Peterson from SP and as you all know, once I smoke it, it’s no take backs, so I’m hoping y’all may can put my mind at ease about the draw hole. I was under the impression (from watching pipe making videos) that the pinnacle of draw hole alignment was to have the absolute bottom of the chamber line up over the top of the draw tube (not sure if that’s the technical name for it). As you can see in the pics, the beginning of the draw tube comes into the chamber maybe 2-3 mm up the side of the bowl. Is this where it would normally come in? If so, I’m totally fine with that, I just want to be sure something didn’t slip by their quality control before I smoke it and make it forever mine! 😀 I took a couple different pics with the tip of a pipe cleaner entering the bowl and one with light shining down the shank. Thanks in advance for y’all’s feedback!

Attachments

• C1CD6A72-637F-43A3-B545-523929DA0696.jpeg
    C1CD6A72-637F-43A3-B545-523929DA0696.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 97157A9F-0178-4975-BC98-06124A5CBBFD.jpeg
    97157A9F-0178-4975-BC98-06124A5CBBFD.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 381697E2-112C-42D6-934C-B89FEF7DCB0F.jpeg
    381697E2-112C-42D6-934C-B89FEF7DCB0F.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Deano

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
If the pipe smokes well its a non issue if its a bit off, which is not uncommon, and l dont see in the pics where yours is off at all.

Reactions: SBC and UB 40
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The absolute pinnacle of automotive factory performance is the Bugatti Chiron Super Sport. But you’re not gonna take your Celica back because it doesn’t go 304mph are you?

It looks ok for a factory pipe. If it were a high grade I’d say return it.

Reactions: AroEnglish

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
I recently bought a Peterson Lestrade. It has all the traits that are supposed to be bad. High drought hole in the bowl, tenon is shorter than the mortise, impossible to pass a cleaner through without separating the stem…….. I was on the fence of returning it, especially because I bought it new and being an ebony finish it wasn’t cheap. At least not for a Pete.
I love the shape so much though that I took the plunge. Loaded it up with Lock Ness and put a flame to it.
Within 5 minutes I started to feel the first signs of gurgle. Uh oh! Out came the tissue to cover the Plip bite. A couple quick hard draws and there the culprit was. A small bit of condensation. Onward I went. Halfway through, not a bit of gurgle. The bowl was burning evenly with a complete circular ash. Towards the end of the smoke it did need a few more relights than I thought was normal, a trait of a high hole. What was most pleasing though was the tobacco completely burned to white ash. Zero dottle on the bottom. It was by my standards a great smoking pipe.

Successive smokes have proven consistent results. I knew before I purchased it would be a dedicated Latakia pipe. So I don’t know how it’ll handle a straight Virginia. I’ll give that a go eventually just to see, but for now I’m extremely happy I took the plunge.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
My Rathbone draft hole is just a tad off center but smokes just fine. Perfection may be found in the next world but not in Dublin. 9 petes and number 10 on the way. Im not afraid to buy Peterson.