Peterson University Flake - Pipe Tobacco Review

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
I have a few tins in my cellar and I really want to smoke some. I have never tried it, but I already have so many blends open and/or in ziplock bags that I want to get some of that down before I open any more tins.
Sometimes pipe smoking can be so stressful, lol.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
I like Peterson University Flake a lot. I have a tin that is about 75% gone.
I know what you mean Bob. I already have so many open tins that I am trying to finish some before I open more.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
Here's my review of it.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/peterson-university-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/

jallen49

Aug 11, 2011
Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem that I have experienced with University Flake...
I'm over half way through my tin, which was purchased in early 2012, and not sure of the date. For some reason, I seem to be experiencing an off putting bitterness that has stayed throughout the smoke on nearly all of my samplings of UF. In fairness, the very last time I smoked it, it was a little less evident than it has been, but still there nonetheless.
Has anyone else ever experienced this??

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member
Jul 12, 2011
UF has been one of my favs/regulars and I have been lucky enough to go through sleeves of tins of this blend ;-)
I never have experienced a bitterness in the smoke; have you tried smoke'in her in a cob, clay or meer to eliminate perhaps sour briar? I know that Burley can at times give off a bitterness to it, which I have experienced in other blends/towards the end of the bowl

juni

Preferred Member
Mar 9, 2010
I never noticed a bitterness. UF is my daily smoke. I don't think it has lost too much nic strength - it is just right.

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member
Apr 17, 2011
Bob, I understand about not opening up a new tin because of so many bags, I too have a tin of UF, but it's not opened for the simple fact I have about 20-30 bag and jars I need to smoke first!!!

johncorosz

Sep 15, 2012
I mix my University Flake with Ennerdale and then add a few pinches of Brown Boogie (broken up). Tastes great and a wonderful morning smoke for me.

jchaplick

Preferred Member
May 8, 2011
Nice review, but for me however, UF is one of my least favorites. Some flavor in there I really dont like.

captainsousie

Preferred Member
Aug 1, 2012
I just finished a bowl of this stuff and man, is it powerful. I smoke cigars so I thought I would barely feel it as no pipe tobacco so far has hit really hard. I was wrong. It is tasty and complex but man does it pack a punch. It also smokes very slowly as a small pipe lasted me over an hour and fifteen minutes. Great stuff but not for a nic noob.

rcstan

Preferred Member
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
@captainsousie: glad you liked it. I keep a couple tins on hand for special occasions. Not an everyday smoke for me due to Vit N. Next, you should try its' cousin, Irish Flake :puffy:

helm

Nov 1, 2012
I feel so much better now. I have gone through a tin of this already and loved it.

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member
Apr 17, 2011
I had a aged tin, about 2 years, finally cracked it open and smoked a stick...did nothing for me, traded the tin...It was a big letdown after all the positive reviews I kept reading I was expecting something wonderful...
I did keep a few sticks to revisit it, but I don't think my stance will change...

Status
Not open for further replies.