PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Is there a noticeable difference between Standard & premier systems in Petersons? Besides price.
Smoke better?
TIA

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I should add that there is a system dark finish now too.. and there is also ebony and gloss red available.. these are standard systems.

Reactions: instymp

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A system spigot isn’t a system. Where’s the tenon extension? The smoke just goes directly up the stem.

the real solution is to buy an older one.

Reactions: Gecko and bullet08

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
So it is just appearance and no noticeable smoking improvement. Am I understanding right?
Have 3 Petes now I like a lot and sold 3 a while back that were just OK. But looking at the 307.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So it is just appearance and no noticeable smoking improvement. Am I understanding right?
Have 3 Petes now I like a lot and sold 3 a while back that were just OK. But looking at the 307.
Basically, besides it’s better quality briar. The premiers usually require no break in before they taste good. No telling with a standard.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It’s always hit or miss but never bad. There are great standard and less great premier systems. Better briar tends to improve the odds but you never know and the standards can be fantastic. Personally, I like silver fittings and good looking briar. I really like the System deluxe setup. I also have one of the pub pipes that I love. That said, I only have 1 system of any designation that isn’t a great smoker. It’s still good, though.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Anyone have both and notice a difference?
Not a huge difference. It’s mainly in the aesthetics of the briar and silver mount. But for the money a premier isn’t that much more than a standard IMO.

I’ve never had a premier smoke badly. A standard system is more likely to have an odd taste at break-in from the stain if you get the red color.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Pass on the 307. I have several Peterson Systems & Deluxe pipes. The 307 is the only one that I do not care for. One Big-ass pipe!!!
All depends on what you like. They are huge but smoke great. I have an ebony 307 it looks like an 8-ball.

Reactions: brunot