Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryskid47

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Washington DC
I recently came across some old Peterson system pipes that was someone's grandfather's. They hadn't been smoked in a long while. One's stem won't come off. I am new to cleaning, and refurbishing pipes. I tried freezing it and that didn't work. Any suggestions?

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
is there a bunch of crud around the mount? what about oxidation on the ferrule?

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Work an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through the stem and let it sit.
If you can get some alcohol between the stem and shank that may help as well.

Reactions: jerryskid47

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I was gonna say put it in the freezer for a minute but I see you've already tried that. Maybe if you could get some jojoba or coconut oil in there? I usually wouldn't recommend forcing anything, but if it's just a crudded up friction mount I don't see how it could hurt to just yank it out. I doubt tobacco residue would be stronger than the wood or vulcanite.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I would try warming it up with a hair dryer at the mount (to loosen the goop) and then grab the stem with a pair of pliers or vice grips but only after wrapping the stem in cardboard or towels etc so you don't damage the vulcanite. Then twist.. it should come out. don't get it too hot though... just nice and warm on the metal ferrule.

Reactions: rushx9

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I might try adding alcohol in the bowl and have it run through to the stem. Be careful with the alcohol. You don't want to strip the stain. I wouldn't do any yanking because you know what Murphy says...what can go wrong, will go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.