PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty53

Lurker
Jul 17, 2021
Good time of the day,,
Got peterson system delux rusticated brand new. After first smoke and regular cleaning I can see the wood a bit on the sides and the bottom. No I didn't scrub like crazy. I also have peterson standard. Nothing like that....
Please advise

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Good time of the day,,
Got peterson system delux rusticated brand new. After first smoke and regular cleaning I can see the wood a bit on the sides and the bottom. No I didn't scrub like crazy. I also have peterson standard. Nothing like that....
Please advise
Do you mean that the finish/stain is wearing off the exterior of the bowl or do you mean the interior of the bowl isn't coated yet from your smoking? If the former, what kind of cleaning are you doing to the outside of the pipe after one bowl? If the latter, I'd say that's normal.

Qwerty53

Lurker
Jul 17, 2021
I am talking all about inside. The pipe came stained when it came brand new. That dark stain inside is coming off so these are the wood spots I see and that is what I am asking.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I am talking all about inside. The pipe came stained when it came brand new. That dark stain inside is coming off so these are the wood spots I see and that is what I am asking.
Got it. It sounds like the bowl coating applied during production has sloughed off a bit. I don't remember that happening when I first bought my system deluxe new, but even if it had I wouldn't have been worried about it. Many people prefer new pipes not to have a bowl coating and just be bare wood so they can build up a cake from scratch themselves. As long as you don't smoke the pipe way too hot the first 5-10 bowls you should be fine. I don't actually know how much protection against burnouts a bowl coating offers, but I've had plenty of new pipes without one that broke in just fine. If you're able to post pictures of what you mean it would help, but without any that's what I'm guessing has happened.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I don't understand why they stain it then and why my other pipe is fine
You might give this a read if you're curious about bowl coatings in general. As to why a small amount of yours in the bottom of the bowl came off I couldn't say, any chance you used alcohol when cleaning? Maybe it just didn't adhere in the bottom of the chamber because of some flaw in the application, but I think most people here would say it's either a non-issue or an advantage. Honestly I've never paid attention to how the bowl coats hold up in any of my new pipes that came with one as it just doesn't matter long term. Bare wood or coated bowl, as you smoke you'll build up your own cake such that it won't matter what state the chamber was in when you got it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You might give this a read if you're curious about bowl coatings in general. As to why a small amount of yours in the bottom of the bowl came off I couldn't say, any chance you used alcohol when cleaning? Maybe it just didn't adhere in the bottom of the chamber because of some flaw in the application, but I think most people here would say it's either a non-issue or an advantage. Honestly I've never paid attention to how the bowl coats hold up in any of my new pipes that came with one as it just doesn't matter long term. Bare wood or coated bowl, as you smoke you'll build up your own cake such that it won't matter what state the chamber was in when you got it.
they seem to make the initial cake form a little faster and slightly more evenly. It's more of a thing that some pipe smokers think they need.

Qwerty53

Lurker
Jul 17, 2021
What really sucks is that it's so expensive pipe and the inside finish is shit. The older Petersons (I found a straight system) the inside finish is like fine grained sand paper. New Savinellis are the same

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
What really sucks is that it's so expensive pipe and the inside finish is shit. The older Petersons (I found a straight system) the inside finish is like fine grained sand paper. New Savinellis are the same
You will build a nice cake over it in time. As noted, some people get rid of that finish themselves to break in the pipe and build a carbon cake naturally. From that standpoint, you actually got a good one. ?

Reactions: kurtbob and STP

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson's old dip-stain bowl coating tasted bad for the first few smokes, but was easily removable.

I love the new stain coating they've been using since 2019, Mark Irwin did a nice blog write-up on that:

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
After several smokes, cake will develop and you’ll never see the bare briar. I recently purchased a Savinelli Trevi that had no stain or coating in the bowl. As mentioned a few times, it’s not an issue. Smoke it and enjoy ?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The finish isn't shit. This is normal, if you use a paper towel to cleanup it will wipe away more of the bowl coating than a pipe cleaner will. Keep smoking.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's really what they call a non-issue. I bet having a shaman bless the bowl and it's cake would have a greater impact on the pipe a few bowls in. The coating is one of those things where it probably protects the inner chamber if someone uses a torch lighter and puffs like it's a race to finish the bowl. In a short amount of time your pipe will be the same with or without that coating. A coating which honestly can be removed so easily it that people scrape it off with their finger nails. It seems like one of those things where there are four or five percent of pipe smokers that 100 percent think a coating is needed and the rest seem indifferent to that gimmick.

Reactions: kurtbob and STP
Status
Not open for further replies.