PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I was revisiting my pipe collection and noted that all of the older Petes have a good bit of stem oxidation.
These pipes are not the ons in my regular rotation, so they are oggled over only a few times each year.
How should I proceed to remove the oxidation and return the stems to their original ebony glory???

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I agree with Sablebrush's advice to clean them up. The micromesh pads with water do a wonderful job. The other half of the job is simple prevention: when I'm done smoking my pipes with vulcanite stems, after the pipe has cooled, I remove the stem and apply a thin coating of mineral oil and set it down for a few hours, or a night. The next morning, I rub it down with a soft cloth and store it in its bag - to keep it out of the light. The oil insures that the stem is protected and makes it look like new.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I agree with Sablebrush's advice to clean them up. The micromesh pads with water do a wonderful job. The other half of the job is simple prevention: when I'm done smoking my pipes with vulcanite stems, after the pipe has cooled, I remove the stem and apply a thin coating of mineral oil and set it down for a few hours, or a night. The next morning, I rub it down with a soft cloth and store it in its bag - to keep it out of the light. The oil insures that the stem is protected and makes it look like new.
I keep all my pipes with vulcanite stems permanently slightly oiled when they're sitting on the pipe rack

Reactions: Smoke Wagon