PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkrider

Lurker
Apr 6, 2013
Hey there, at 62 years young I am starting to smoke a pipe and I have a question. I just ordered a #302 smooth system pipe from Cup O Joe's. After I ordered I came across some disparaging remarks on Peterson pipes. Will I get a pipe that I can learn on (please no cracks about OLD DOGS and new tricks) and enjoy for many years? I started out with the no names, Greybos, Medico, and a Yellow Bowl and was hoping my smoking experience would be elevated by moving up in quality. I also ordered some Mc Beren tin tobaccos. I have also heard Peterson's quality is back which I hope is true. Thank You

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Hey, welcome to the club! As far as I can tell, Peterson has slipped from "hey! everything they make is great!" status, but they are still making good pipes. And some will always bemoan that "they don't make them like they used to". As a relative novitiate myself, after getting my old Grabows out of storage, and exploring some estates, my first two completely new pipes were Peteys, and I have been pleased, both in the aesthetics and the function. They seem really ornery during the break in, so be patient, but I have had no problems, and hopefully you should experience the same. o)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Just my opinion, but I do think the average Peterson pipe is of higher quality than a Medico, Yello-Bole or Grabow, but frankly that's not a very high bar to get over.
Yes, I do think Peterson's quality has suffered lately, though I've never thought they took any longer to break in. System pipes have their own quirks, but with proper technique I think you'll have a serviceable pipe.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
As long as the stem fits correctly, does not have any interior obstructions to reduce air flow and is drilled decently, you will get a good smoking pipe. The systems have a different drilling, the draft hole is not always flush with the bottom of the bowl and is usually higher.
When you get it give it a good going over. It won't pass a pipe cleaner all the way thru due to the construction of the system, but that is kind of a moot point with the military style stem. If those things check out, you are going to be OK.
If its stained, you may need to spend some time with bristle cleaners and a shank brush with alcohol to remove the stain from the shank/draft hole. This does not take much time and makes it easier to break in.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Hey Valk! First welcome aboard. Admittedly all five of my Petersons are estates. They range from 1915ish to 2000 as far as age, so I don't have any brand new off the press Petes.
I've read the same issues your talking about and I think the best course of action would be to inspect that sucker really well BEFORE you smoke it. This way if your not 150% happy you can return it. If you've got questions about the drilling or fittings just ask away here.
If she works out for you then yes I think you've got a solid pipe for years and years. Just keep in mind that being a new pipe it's bound to give an off taste until you've broken it in.
Also if your new to the plip, in my opinion they all aren't created equal. Some seem to be drilled right on top of the "button" some canted back towards your tongue. I much prefer the ones tilted back towards the tongue and you might have to tilt your pipe a bit to find your sweet spot.
Let us know how she works out for you! I love the 302 shape but don't own one yet.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I have 3 Peterson pipes and have not had a problem with any of them - I would certainly buy another. Whilst the quality might be lower than it once was (I can't comment on that as I've only been smoking them a few years) I wonder if part of the issue is the rise in Artisan pipes? In the "old days" pipes were more often utilitarian work horses. Of course, there were some very fine pipes about, but the average smoker was less of a collector than is the case today.
Check out your new like before smoking in case you find something you are not happy with. But I predict you'll have a good serviceable pipe that, with a little care and attention, will last you indefinitely.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I've had a number of Petersons for several years, which I've really loved. Recently, I ordered two new System pipes, but I did so with some trepidation because I'd heard, as you did, that the quality had slipped. But I'm happy to report that the new pipes are every bit as good as the old - no problems. But it's good advice to thoroughly examine ANY newly received pipe - not just Petes.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
What irritates me a lot are the large number of posts that go "hey, I own a Pete from 1965 and the pipe is awesome, so no worries mate, all will be fine". Yes, old Petes are awesome.
I've been burned last year multiple times with post-2009 produced Peterson pipes, price range 100$ to 400$, and have since sworn that I won't ever own a newer Peterson again until they get their act together, and I can't with a good conscience recommend that brand to anyone.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I ordered a Peterson Standard System 312 earlier this year, only issues are cosmetic. Weak stamping and a small, barely noticeable chip in the band. Good job? No, not really, I paid $100 for it. Acceptable? Of course, and then some. It smokes very, very well. No complaints there, plus I wouldn't trade it for anything and I'd buy it again. A quick once-over for obvious flaws should suffice, then break 'em in and enjoy!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I have petes that are alittle older, but most of my petes range from brand new to less then 10 years old. love them all. never ever had any problems with them (with the briar and stems) ever so often the silver or nickle bands come loose, but that is such an easy fix.

valkrider

Lurker
Apr 6, 2013
Thanks for all your replies. I never meant to imply that I thought the Medico, Graybo.....ect were even in the same zip code. They were/are just starters as are Mopeds and 22lr single shot rifles. Anyhoo as like many these days I am not overly flush, and as any new to the hobby I wasn't just going to sit and wait. I went to a proper pipe store and purchased some estate pipes. I came away with a p lip Peterson (non system), 2 Savinelli, and the star smoker of the group a Bari Viking. I have small quanities of 6 different blends to try out and would like your reccomendations of proper PH (Latakia like) tobaccos for the starter like me. Thanks again

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
A recent favoirte latakia-blend of mine and one you'll hear a lot of praise for here is G.L. Pease Westminster. It's every bit arich, flavorfull English without being overly strong or a lat bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.