Peterson "Standard Mixture" - Anyone See a Review?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Link to PM review:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like many of the original Dunhill blends -- Nightcap, 965, Royal Yacht, Durbar, London Mixture, and others. Standard Mixture was one I just didn't like, finding a little flat and a little harsh. I just did one tin. If I tried it again, I might have a whole different reaction, but it didn't work for me.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Link to PM review:

^That's a fairly harsh review, and the current product is likely quite different from the 2006 release...
I haven't tried Standard Mixture, but I love Standard Mixture Mellow(less latakia, more fruity va and sour oriental). Unfortunately it wasn't re-released with the Peterson badge.
From what I've read, SM is a middle of the road English with a balanced amount of Va, oriental, and latakia. Middle of the road is what Dunhill was always known for doing best. London Mixture had more orientals(Balkan), 965 has Cavendish(Scottish), and Nightcap has perique(heavy hitter/lat bomb-ish/complex) , so they are all fundamentally different than a "standard" English which is exactly what Standard Mixture aims to be.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
^That's a fairly harsh review, and the current product is likely quite different from the 2006 release...
I haven't tried Standard Mixture, but I love Standard Mixture Mellow(less latakia, more fruity va and sour oriental). Unfortunately it wasn't re-released with the Peterson badge.
From what I've read, SM is a middle of the road English with a balanced amount of Va, oriental, and latakia. Middle of the road is what Dunhill was always known for doing best. London Mixture had more orientals(Balkan), 965 has Cavendish(Scottish), and Nightcap has perique(heavy hitter/lat bomb-ish/complex) , so they are all fundamentally different than a "standard" English which is exactly what Standard Mixture aims to be.

AFAIK, STG has been blending the Dunhill blends since 2004, so I don’t know why it would have been different than the more recent blends, other than age.

Reactions: Pipelady20

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Last time I had Standard Mixture, I couldn't tell there was latakia in it at all. Since I'm a latakia lovin' kind o' guy, I'm rather reticent to open my other tins of it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.