Peterson St Patrick's Day 2023 Pipes at SP?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Peterson released a huge catalog of shapes and finishes for the 2023 St Patties day pipes, and SP has 7 pages of nothing but rusticated pipes?! No blasts, no smooths, WTF? They own Peterson, and they couldn't get anything but the rusticated pipes?
Like many of their limited releases, there is a paucity of smooth and sandblasted models—the handful that are offered are usually snapped up right away.

I suspect the quality of briar available for smooth or sandblasted models that highlight grain nicely is in short supply. Rusticated models allow for lesser quality blocks to be used for a larger amount of available product.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Like many of their limited releases, there is a paucity of smooth and sandblasted models—the handful that are offered are usually snapped up right away.

I suspect the quality of briar available for smooth or sandblasted models that highlight grain nicely is in short supply. Rusticated models allow for lesser quality blocks to be used for a larger amount of available product.
Yeah I get that, But out of 300 plus pipes SP had only rusticated. The release teaser claimed LOADS of pipes in several shapes and finishes. I find it near impossible to believe that the 25th anniversary of the St Patrick's day pipe only had a few smooths and blasts. If Peterson pipes notes is to be believed there should have been loads of all three finishes.

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Peterson released a huge catalog of shapes and finishes for the 2023 St Patties day pipes, and SP has 7 pages of nothing but rusticated pipes?! No blasts, no smooths, WTF? They own Peterson, and they couldn't get anything but the rusticated pipes?
I'm not going to lie, but i feel the exact same as you. I knew they dropped at 6, yet i waited till 8 to check them out. Big mistake. At that point there were 9 pages of rusticateds, and it seems from the posts in the pipes talk section that the smooths were damn near gone instantly. Well, time for me to buy that nording i've been eyeing for a while. 😩

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
There was such a feeding frenzy over the smooths and blasts that high traffic majorly crashed the site and it lasted for a good while.
There are some avail on eBay and some few select other retailers. Good luck on your hunt. :)

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Ok ok ok, I've read through the other thread. I did not expect there to be that much demand for these since last years pipes are still available...:rolleyes: Lesson learned, I should have been on top of it at 6pm yesterday.

Reactions: Streeper541

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Was gonna say like others this is the time to hit B&Ms if you can. My local actually makes sure to stock up on holiday Petersons as they do go fast. Maybe someone can confirm but seems some models/finishes are B&M-specific or they hold back a small percentage to sell to shops only?

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
I think at 6pm there were 14 pages of St. Patricks Days pipes with the PSB and smooth pipes on the later pages. The SP webpage was crashing/404 for an hour or two after the pipes went on sale.
I understand they probably, in part, made a limited supply to help sell out, but youd think they would offer more PSB and smooth pipes and a lot less rusticated, especially after last year. But who knows.
I do wish SP would put some more bandwidth on their site for hyped up drops eg limited/specialty series pipes, limited release blends, esoterica, etc.
I have seen a couple smooth 2023 St. Patricks Day pipes on ebay, so I supposed those who wanted a smooth or PSB pipe may still have a chance to grab one.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Was gonna say like others this is the time to hit B&Ms if you can. My local actually makes sure to stock up on holiday Petersons as they do go fast. Maybe someone can confirm but seems some models/finishes are B&M-specific or they hold back a small percentage to sell to shops only?
They have an opportunity to order ahead of the drop, no idea if there is a set allocation. For example, if you look at the Laudisi site, all the smooths and blasts are sold out and most of the rusticated but there are still rusticateds that B&Ms could order. I suppose just a question for those that are online whether they've advertised them with known orders in or on the way if for some reason that hadn't received them, or advertising now or soon, and those that aren't online I guess you'd have to call or visit. There are definitely smooths and blasts out there somewhere for purchase.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It was one of those situations where even you were on time, you might not have snagged a smooth that you wanted. Probably, you would have needed high speed wired cable connection direct to a modem, and good amount of luck. Happens every year with me on POTY. And I'm stupid enough to keep using WIFI.

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I tried to get on just after the release to see what smooth or blasts were available, big swing and a miss. It was like the few weeks I was trying to get a McClelland 40th anniversary on pipestud every Saturday - I had to just shrug and give up.

Reactions: Zero

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Smokingpipes put up about 700 Saint Patrick's Day pipes yesterday, of which more than 100 were smooth and more than 50 were sandblasts. We didn't expect the smooth and sandblasts to sell out as quickly as they did (it took about ninety minutes to sell through both). It's also worth noting that as of 24 hours later, twice as many rustics have sold as smooth and sandblasted combined on Smokingpipes. Folks are certainly buying the rustic pipes, but that those who want the smooth pipes know they're scarce and are acting quickly.

There will be some more Saint Patrick's Day pipes going up next week.

As for the site instability during periods of heavy traffic load, this is not a simple problem. We're still working to resolve it and I am very sorry.

Sykes

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
You've got to remember a few things;

1. There were a combined total of 1200 sandblasts & smooths made. There were about 2,000 rusticated blasts.
2. SPD pipes, like most seasonally offered pipes, are lower grade/ entry level pipes. (Which is why most of the 3,200 made were rusticated)
3. A higher number of SPD pipes were made this year due to the 25th anniversary.
4. Those were divided between SPEU, SPC and any other retailers that ordered them.

Yesterday was only the first batch released, Sykes said more are coming. Most of us know it is standard practice at SPC to have 2-3 batches released over several weeks. Don't panic.