PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
My first Peterson spigot is a fine smoking pipe. But the finish, which was properly on the outside of the bowl, came off on my hand. Now I’ve rinsed it in water and rubbed it with a cloth, the excess stain is off and it’s not quite as pretty, but it’s fine.

I have another in the mail due tomorrow. A system standard this time, not a spigot. I know what I’m getting into. I don’t expect perfection.

I may take a blurry photo of the system and complain it doesn’t pass a cleaner, just to rile up the natives.

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

Hunter dave

Might Stick Around
Feb 22, 2020
Dillsboro indiana
My first Peterson spigot is a fine smoking pipe. But the finish, which was properly on the outside of the bowl, came off on my hand. Now I’ve rinsed it in water and rubbed it with a cloth, the excess stain is off and it’s not quite as pretty, but it’s fine.

I have another in the mail due tomorrow. A system standard this time, not a spigot. I know what I’m getting into. I don’t expect perfection.

I may take a blurry photo of the system and complain it doesn’t pass a cleaner, just to rile up the natives.
I also have a Peterson delux with filter and it’s a great pipe. I have a mark twain Peterson and it’s been a wonderful pipe

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Can you tell the year from the hallmark?
3466362F-E0C6-4E8B-A6E4-B8484B00C76F.jpeg
2006 starts again with a non-italicized “A”

Reactions: jpmcwjr

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I actually sort of wish there was a consumer reports type tracker of pipe manufacturers tracking issues with new pipes. Then we might get some more subjective data, though there would have to be plenty of controls built in...

My Newgrange Spigot arrived today. A quick once over reveals no issues, though I'm far from an expert. Drilling seems right on, and a pipe cleaner goes straight through to the back of the chamber. Blast is solid, but not spectacular like the SP 20th Anny pipes. As those were supposedly hand-picked stummels representing the best of the best in Peterson blasts, it wouldn't surprise me if my pipe came from a stummel that wasn't good enough for that line. It was a "Fresh" pipe at sp.eu, so I assume it's one of the newer blasts with the new system. The stem is actually much nicer than the listing photos, IMO. In the listing, it had a reddish tint, where in person it appears more of a standard Cumberland style, which I am fond of. We'll see how it smokes. My Shannon line dog seemed to take a bit longer to break in than some others, though that's hardly exclusive to Pete in my experience. It's become one of my favorite pipes, though. I'm not discounting anyone's experiences. I'm just one data point.

Pete1.jpg
Pete2.jpg
Pete3.jpg

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I actually sort of wish there was a consumer reports type tracker of pipe manufacturers tracking issues with new pipes. Then we might get some more subjective data, though there would have to be plenty of controls built in...

My Newgrange Spigot arrived today. A quick once over reveals no issues, though I'm far from an expert. Drilling seems right on, and a pipe cleaner goes straight through to the back of the chamber. Blast is solid, but not spectacular like the SP 20th Anny pipes. As those were supposedly hand-picked stummels representing the best of the best in Peterson blasts, it wouldn't surprise me if my pipe came from a stummel that wasn't good enough for that line. It was a "Fresh" pipe at sp.eu, so I assume it's one of the newer blasts with the new system. The stem is actually much nicer than the listing photos, IMO. In the listing, it had a reddish tint, where in person it appears more of a standard Cumberland style, which I am fond of. We'll see how it smokes. My Shannon line dog seemed to take a bit longer to break in than some others, though that's hardly exclusive to Pete in my experience. It's become one of my favorite pipes, though. I'm not discounting anyone's experiences. I'm just one data point.

View attachment 21388
View attachment 21389
View attachment 21390
Nice pipe!

Reactions: danimalia

Hunter dave

Might Stick Around
Feb 22, 2020
Dillsboro indiana

View attachment 21388
View attachment 21389
View attachment 21390

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
This spigot is the first army mount pipe I have and I really like that aspect of the pipe. At the end of a smoke, it's so easy to just pull out the stem, give it quick swab with a pipe cleaner and/or kleenex and put it back together. Overall, I am pleased with how the pipe is smoking. It does tend to gurgle a bit, but that seems to happen with all new pipes that I've bought. Usually around the 1/3 mark or so of a bowl. Hopefully, it will grow out of that as most of my pipes have. The tobaccos I've smoked out of it (mostly VAs, but also a bit of GHC Dark Flake U/S all have tasted excellent. Also, I prefer uncoated chambers, but whatever Peterson is using seems to be pretty good. I think it will build a cake pretty quickly as it looks to be getting off to a good start. Pipe is a bit heavy, but I'm not much of a clencher, so that's not a big deal. I dig it!

Think I will go full system next time with a P-Lip and everything. Haven't tried one of those before.

Status
Not open for further replies.