PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I picked up an xl90 pipe that although not technically a system pipe as it has a fishtail stem does have the sump.this pipe although lightly smoked looks like it has never seen a pipe cleaner or sump clean.The sump was full of old ash and tar.
I am currently soaking the stem and bowl with cotton wool/alcohol and was wondering if there are any tips for cleaning out the sump other than brushes and q tips.
I dont think a retort works with the sump or does it

Reactions: mtwaller

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
After soaking for about 4 hours I removed the blackened cotton wool from the mortise/sump and washed the chamber and mortise with hot water.
On inspection the sump looks clean and indeed when swabbed with an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner the cleaner stays clean.
I am now giving it overnight to dry and will see tomorrow if it needs any more cleaning

Reactions: dmcmtk and jpberg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have a Peterson system pipe. The sump does its job, but while all my other pipes smell good when they have been rested, the sump of the system pipe always smells a little nasty.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have a Peterson system pipe. The sump does its job, but while all my other pipes smell good when they have been rested, the sump of the system pipe always smells a little nasty.
i have 7 petes of which 5 are system pipes and the other 2 have sumps drilled but this is the first one i have bought that was in such a state,They are all estates.
i swab the sump with a cleaner after every bowl otherwise as you say they do smell a bit and i always leave the stem out for at least 24 hours before either smoking or replacing it

Reactions: workman and dmcmtk
Jun 9, 2018
England
After soaking for about 4 hours I removed the blackened cotton wool from the mortise/sump and washed the chamber and mortise with hot water.
On inspection the sump looks clean and indeed when swabbed with an alcohol soaked pipe cleaner the cleaner stays clean.
I am now giving it overnight to dry and will see tomorrow if it needs any more cleaning

I have a Peterson Newgrange XL02 Spigot that has the sump. I find a qtip swab after each bowl does the trick.

Reactions: paulfg
Status
Not open for further replies.