PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve taken a hiatus from pipe smoking since my sinuses are acting up. Not very enjoyable trying to smoke with a stuffy head and a runny nose.

So, into the shop to work on a pipe. This pipe had a draft hole that was about 3/8” above the floor of the chamber. Obviously this is not optimal since the tobacco under the draft opening and out in front of the draft opening won’t burn, and tends to just leave a soggy wad of tobacco on the floor of the chamber.

In order to “mud” the floor I use a mix of waterglass, activated charcoal and 4F pumice. The consistency is like runny putty. It helps to wet the sides of the chamber and adhere better, and flows a bit while it dries. At 12 to 24 hours it’s workable, and flows a little bit so it kinda smoothes itself.

48 hours later it’s solid, and I sand the interior smooth. I’ve done this to numerous pipes, and for me it’s more enjoyable to smoke them as the tobacco burns all the way to the bottom of the chamber…

A991920C-ACA7-4B64-9DAC-27B5DAF58848.jpeg

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
That's awesome. What a great idea. I have a couple pipes that are drilled just a little high for my liking and was wondering how they might be fixed.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If I recall correctly I believe I saw rebornpipes also use JB Weld to fix cracks that went all the way through the bowl.
I wouldn’t use JB Weld, that’s epoxy resin… and only spec’ed for use up to 500 F. Burning tobacco in a pipe chamber is reportedly 800 F. I’ve never put a thermocouple in my pipe bowl, so I can’t verify that.

Then there’s the offgassing of the hardened epoxy resin… yeah I don’t go in for epoxy resin topped blends. Call me crazy…

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
You must have the patience of a saint! Impressive job.?
I had a Peterson that was drilled slightly too high as well. I just stuck a Dri-Kule (wire basket) in the bottom of the chamber. Been in there nearly a year now & still going strong.
image.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Latakia Dave