Peterson Smokes Bad No Matter What. How To Fix It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

CrustyBeard

Lurker
Sep 28, 2022
Before you relegate the pipe to the depths of hell try the moist coffee ground trick. Make a pot of coffee and when the grinds are cooled stuff them in the bowl and in the shank real good and then let it sit for a couple of days like that. Wash them out good. let it dry a few days and give it a shot.
can you elaborate further?

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I have a Peterson 80s that was a terrible smoker until I removed the bowl coating, funneled the end of the tenon (the draft hole was very uneven like it was burnt in with a hot coat hanger wire), removed the dip stain from the chamber and mortice, and smoked dry plain tobacco blends in it for a couple years. Now it smokes great👍🏼

Sometimes a freshly cleaned pipe will mute the flavours significantly in my experience. Personally, after making sure it really is fully clean, I would try smoking 30-50 bowls of something like D&R Two Timer in it to see if it improves.
Perseverance pays off….especially with Petersons. Lol
I had a terrible tasting Rocky Zulu, like yours took a couple of years to come round. So glad I kept it, one of my best tasting pipes now.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
35+ Peterson and every one of 'em smokes well. Cosmetic issue is another story. With so many pipes being made to meet the demand, I'm sure there are crappy ones going through. If this is the only pipe having issue and you made sure taking apart and cleaned everything, chuck it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The reason it smokes bad is because of the proximity of Jupiter being the closest it’s been to the Earth in 59 years… It’ll be fine if you just let it sit for a few years in a copper pyramid and by then the Jovian influences will have subsided enough to allow for a pleasant smoke.

0ECE7C03-D8AB-4E85-ABAC-3A6EFB508F7A.png

I’m always amused buy the types of responses these posts get.

Shitcan it…, put some (insert magical substance of the week here) in the bowl…, sand the chamber to bare wood…, etc.

If the chamber and airway are reasonably clean, there should be little to no effect of any previously smoked tobacco. And after smoking several bowls of whatever you’re smoking, I would expect that any off flavors will be covered up by the tars and oils of the new tobacco.

One method I guess I’d recommend is filling the chamber with activated charcoal and putting the stummel in the oven for a few hours, at around 150-175 F. Use the granulated activated charcoal, the kind that is used for fish aquarium filters. Set the pipe in the oven on some aluminum foil scrunched up so it keeps the stummel level.

Then again, there are blocks of briar that are just off and can’t be resurrected.