PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was gifted with a tin of the newly branded Royal Yacht by Peterson, after Dunhill ceased to sell the blend under their brand, with all their other blends. Royal Yacht is blended by the same company as Dunhill used, and there should be no noticeable difference. However, I taste much less of the "plum" or whatever flavoring than I remember from the Dunhill branded version. The base Virginia is the same good quality leaf that I've enjoyed, and the flavoring provides a faint nuance to the blend, but it is decisively less flavored than before. Does anyone else have this impression? It's a good smoke, but different, to me.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I was gifted with a tin of the newly branded Royal Yacht by Peterson, after Dunhill ceased to sell the blend under their brand, with all their other blends. Royal Yacht is blended by the same company as Dunhill used, and there should be no noticeable difference. However, I taste much less of the "plum" or whatever flavoring than I remember from the Dunhill branded version. The base Virginia is the same good quality leaf that I've enjoyed, and the flavoring provides a faint nuance to the blend, but it is decisively less flavored than before. Does anyone else have this impression? It's a good smoke, but different, to me.
I’m guessing the Dunhill is much older so you may be tasting the effects of aging it.

They should be the exact same product barring any difference in production runs.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I just finished a tin and I didn’t notice any significant difference in the taste.

I wii say that I’ve always noticed fluctuations in RY and sometimes the toppings are more noticeable than at other times so I just figured it was in the same zone.

It still scratched that particular RY itch for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've had more then a few aromatics that have had variable levels of flavoring over the years from tin to tin. Personally I imagined that it's not even a batch issue but well have you seen the factories? The way some people top tobacco is in a large industrial spinning drum that sprays the leave. I imagine it's not 100 percent even like a weak topping must be that bit of tobacco that gets stuck on the outer edges and hence not as saturated. I mean that's a report from the fantasy land of my mind.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've had more then a few aromatics that have had variable levels of flavoring over the years from tin to tin. Personally I imagined that it's not even a batch issue but well have you seen the factories? The way some people top tobacco is in a large industrial spinning drum that sprays the leave. I imagine it's not 100 percent even like a weak topping must be that bit of tobacco that gets stuck on the outer edges and hence not as saturated. I mean that's a report from the fantasy land of my mind.
You’re telling me there isn’t an elf spraying each individual ribbon? ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You’re telling me there isn’t an elf spraying each individual ribbon? ?
you're confusing snuff manufacture and pipe tobacco manufacture. Snuff is dominated by elves. They grind the stuff and scent it (you really don't want to know how). Alright snuff is scent with elf pee. (this is funny to me I ask Roderick at toque about his elves all the time and he's admitted to me that I am right and his factory is manned by a tribe of elves.)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
nXR97R9atK-6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.