PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Husky, I am out of date in terms of exactly what Peterson production looks like these days, which lines are made and what they look like.
But the most expensive series pipes were the Deluxes and Supremes, followed by the various Rosslares (Rosslare Royal Irish having silver mounts I believe) and Harp. At one point the Harps had acrylic stems while the rest of the production was ebonite. I think the Sherlock Holmes series had pretty good stems and briar too. I believe all the pipes are factory fit with acrylic now, but I could be wrong. And I have no idea what the various anniversary and celebration models look like. Just looked at their website, and ... man not much there nowadays.

Reactions: BROBS

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Subscribe to Mark Irwin's blog - he reviews nearly every new release.

https://www.petersonpipenotes.org/

Generally speaking, the hallmarked Silver/gold banded pipes are usually a step up the experience ladder.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks!

Yeah, I found that blog so now I have some reading material.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I shouldn't say this but after several tenths of various Petersons I have owned over the years I have come to conclusion,1 If I were planning on adding a Peterson pipe to my collection right now, it would be either one of those top-quality old estates or one of the current production and again, it'll be from the upper class, I'd keep away from those entry-level ones despite the fact they sure are sturdily made and robust pipes,

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I'd keep away from those entry-level ones
How so?

It seems like almost all Peterson's are entry level, the "delux" are a bit more

and then there is a bit of a jump to the "supreme".

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It seems like there are two types of Peterson pipes made today, bothare made with a “sump”. It’s the way that sump deals with the collected byproducts that differ. Type A uses a filter, type B uses the system. And herein lies the issue. Not all type A pipes include a mouthpiece that will fit a filter. Not all type B pipes include the full system (only de luxe and only the largest include the stinger).
So, what to do then? Well, either buy a Pete that will take a 9mm filter or buy a larger de luxe if you want the best Pete experience. This is all just according to my opinion, naturally. Were I in your shoes I would save up a bit more to reach a nice de luxe.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I have four pipes that I think are "entry level".

Despite my inexperience I smoke them without gurgling or excessive moisture (though tree have filters).

I want to explore the physics of pipes and what makes a good pipe.

My problem is basically this, how do I know what "a great smoker" feels like?

I need some kind of baseline to compare against.

I have sufficient funds to buy something in the Peterson Deluxe range, price wise

but am not willing to go all the way to the Supreme range (pearls for swine).

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Husky, Supreme and Royal Irish series are supposed to be fairly good pipes, if you can't inspect them in person ask storekeeper to do so for you, I mean drilling and stem fit , also there is this BlakemarBriar manufacturer in England and on my personal experience they make decent pipes, especially their upper line Litchbruyere is wonderful value and them shapes are strict classic English

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
While it may be generally true that higher grades are better pipes, I have 4 Kinsales which, being Sherlock Holmes shapes, are quite attractive and they're good smokers. Can be had for $105-132 depending on the seller.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
@Paul, I am not bent on getting a Peterson, they are just a point of reference.

The Supreme are about the same price as the lower end Castello. I think I will have to wait

until I have enough experience to know what I really like before I invest in something in that range.

The BlakemarBriar look really nice and inexpensive as well!

I may take your word for it and buy one from them.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
If you order from Italy, Castellos are suddenly pretty affordable - a pipe like this is around 200 bucks by the time you knock the taxes off etc (some 22% of list is removed)
https://tabaccheriacorti.com/gb/pipes/2569-castello-old-sea-rock-kk-shape-17.html
anyway not sure what your price point is.
If you are smoking successfully and enjoying it, you may not find much more in ANY pipe, but what you will find is that some makers cut a stem you really like, or have a draw that "feels right" to you, it becomes more of a personalized fulfillment than a realization of some kind of objective ideal.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Since I am in the european union I don't think anything changes regarding taxes but you are

probably correct and it is more of a curiosity if I would find the Castello brand traits

as appealing as so many others do? I simply will have to try one at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.