PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
maybe my zig-zaggy pipe will be a collectible some day then! :) Regardless i’m a big fan of the brand including the tobaccos.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sykes, since you came on today and explained what was going on, and how it was going forward, I purchased four Petersons out of support and appreciation.
It doesn't hurt that i really like Petes.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Glad to see there may be some improvements coming. I have a few Petes from a time when they were all blasts rather than rusticated. I guess that the time to rusticate is significantly less than that to do a true blast? Below is one of mine which I think shows how good they can be;
s-l1600-600x372.jpg

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
better post some pictures when they arrive or it didn’t happen!
I know you weren't responding to me, but I love Petes too.
148f98y.jpg

Almost all are Petes.
2q00in4.jpg

My Hinged Lids. My proudest is a Jim Lilley Collection Hinged Lid.
I don't have a picture, but I also have a complete set of all the Twains made, Including the elusive green set (poker and bent, only three sets made)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
@lawdog I'd be surprised if the 01 will pass. The Army pipes are drilled with deep mortise so the airway will be above the bottom. Think mini system pipe.
Thanks for the heads up. I don't own any army mount pipes, though I've always loved the look. I was unaware of the deep mortise aspect of their design. Makes sense when I think about how the tenon fits.
As to the pipe cleaner test in general, I find that pipes that won't pass the test tend to gurgle more easily, and then there is the added trouble that they can be difficult to swab out mid-smoke if they start gurgling. I understand army mounts can more readily be disassembled when hot, but I don't know that I'd care to go to the trouble.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for the heads up. I don't own any army mount pipes, though I've always loved the look. I was unaware of the deep mortise aspect of their design. Makes sense when I think about how the tenon fits.
As to the pipe cleaner test in general, I find that pipes that won't pass the test tend to gurgle more easily, and then there is the added trouble that they can be difficult to swab out mid-smoke if they start gurgling. I understand army mounts can more readily be disassembled when hot, but I don't know that I'd care to go to the trouble.

Here's my Army 01

002-029-25486.jpg

If you get gurgle from it it'll be from 2 spots. Either a piece of tobacco obstructing the air way or moisture in the stem from your mouth, the smoke or both.
A tap of the pipe on your knuckles should clear most gurgles. If you constantly get it in the stem near the bottom, a slight chamfer of the draft hole can help alleviate the gurgle. Moisture by the bit? Don't be such a slobber mouth :).
Kidding aside, do not be afraid of pulling the stem off. Just don't reassemble it with all of you strength. The best military mount pipes are Peterson's. They need to work on the drilling before worrying about rustication IMO.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
lawdawg, the only reason I find that I sometimes need to swab a pipe out before I'm done smoking it, is because I always smoke at least 4 bowls at a time in the pipe. That only tends to happen toward the end of my smoking and will pull out a stem to do so if needed. I own many brands of pipes and don't find my Petersons anymore inclined to need this than any other pipe except my only Hungarian, a Jobey. The design of it causes it to become gurggley fast.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree that some of the rustication in the past has suffered a lot, although current production seems much better.

My wife has a Pre-Republic Pete from England, late 1930s I believe. I have never seen one like this, interesting rustication, and believe it or not, an aluminum mount! And yes, I'm sure about that. She doesn't smoke it that much because she likes smooth pipes, but it dates to around her birth year so she'll never get rid of it.
fullsizeoutput_1de6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1de7.jpeg

wendell

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
WOW !! UNKLEYODA .. that is an impressive collection!! for kicks I counted them ... nearly 60 !! I have about a dozen 30-50 dollar ones .. do the more expensive ones really smoke better? or is it a status thing?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
3 peterson pipes in last.. 2 months. they all smoke great. no issues with smoking. cleaner will not pass through to the bowl from the tip of the stem. but if i bend the cleaner a little at the tip and move it around, it will usually find the draw hole to the bowl. takes time, but i don't have moisture problem or gurgling. maybe it's just the way they drill the draw hole. looking at their cut out of system pipes, the draw hole is way off center to make room for the chamber for the spit or whatever on the bottom. being production pipes and all, maybe the tooling is set like that for all the bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.