Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm intrigued by Peterson pipes, although I have yet to find a recent shape that catches my eye.

I gather Peterson pipes are a love or hate thing and want to avoid Peterson bashing. However, I would like to know more about the P-Lip and Army mounts aspects of them. Advantages, disadvantages, or it just is.

Please let me know what you think about the P-Lip (and possibly share your favorite model to get my juices flowing).

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Bought my first “good” pipe, a Peterson Limerick 69 had a P-Lip, in 1990, and after smoking standard bit pipes it took some getting used to.

i followed that up with a Limerick 01s that had a P-Lip.

I really don’t much notice the difference nowadays, although I do prefer the P-Lip on bent pipes.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
P lips direct the smoke to the roof of your mouth in an attempt to circumvent tongue burn. Army mounts are supposed to allow you to separate the stem from a stummel while the pipe is hot but really that can be done with any pipe.
Embers took the word right out of my mouth and explained them both perfectly.

I've been smoking Peterson pipes for almost 20 years. I love P-lip pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have about eight Petersons, one P-lip, no military mounts, though I think they look sharp. I enjoy the P-lip, on a 999 bent Rhodesian, but I find the bit a little obtrusive, preferring the fishtail.

Like many, I like the hefty look of Petersons, their traditional design, and their mostly ample chambers. Some of my favorite shapes are the B11 brandy sitter, the B10 briar Calabash, the Rhodesian 999, and the Around the World series (long discontinued) bulldog commemorating Ireland, with red stain and a wide nickel band engraved with a Celtic cross.

Peterson went through a spell when there were some quality control complaints, but I have been fortunate and never had a problem. All of mine have been dependable, durable, and remain new-looking.

I think the B11 brandy sitter is the uncelebrated star shape. It's never been the darling of the brand, but for convenience (sitting) and an ample chamber, it's an especially good pipe. I have two.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I really like the P-lip. I have had one fishtail that was a little (lot) out of proportion, lol, otherwise have good experiences with those as well. My little Arklow and the “shorts” have fishtails that are just right and I prefer those in the smaller pipes and the “button”’ is just right on those as well, if I’m using that term correctly.

Reactions: Nevaditude

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
P lips direct the smoke to the roof of your mouth in an attempt to circumvent tongue burn. Army mounts are supposed to allow you to separate the stem from a stummel while the pipe is hot but really that can be done with any pipe.
I agree with all of this, but I'll add one comment. For me, the p-lip is easier to clench than a fish tail. My teeth were made to clench p-lip pipes. I found this out the first month in my smoking life when I bought two Dr. Grabow Omegas with a p-lip.

grimpuffer

Can't Leave
Aug 29, 2016
I'm intrigued by Peterson pipes, although I have yet to find a recent shape that catches my eye.

I gather Peterson pipes are a love or hate thing and want to avoid Peterson bashing. However, I would like to know more about the P-Lip and Army mounts aspects of them. Advantages, disadvantages, or it just is.

Please let me know what you think about the P-Lip (and possibly share your favorite model to get my juices flowing).

Ill be honest, I never understood the hate Peterson gets.

They have more than enough different pipes to suit all needs regarding fit and finish.

The pipe I enjoy the most and the one I reach for the most, out of all my Pete’s is one that cost me less than $100, and I own a few of their high grades too.

I have yet to be let down by functionality of either their p lip or standard style pipes.

Find what you like and give it a go.

The one caveat I will add, and will echo others, is the p lip will not suit all, especially clinchers.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I own 12 Pete's, but so far have only smoked 4 of them. I'm not an everyday smoker, so I haven't gotten around to smoking all of them. Eventually, I will. I could get by with only 4 or 5, but if I see one I like, I buy it. Plus I also have Savinelli, Chacom and others to smoke.

I can't add anything about P-lips because I haven't smoked any of mine yet.

What got me hooked on Peterson's is the The Peterson Pipe book...I love the history.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Stain in the chamber and mortise, air bubbles in their dip on lacquer, bad drilling, and their type of chamber coating are the biggest complaints.
Stain in the chamber has been a thing with many of my Petersons, including the 4ABs and I didn't expect that in the POTYs. Have also had a couple where the stain has "sweat" for lack of a better term when first using the pipe and I have some stained fingers, haha. I remove the coating on every one I receive (easy to do) and at least in the chamber I'll spend quite a bit of time very, very carefully sanding out the stain at the top/inside when I see it. So far no air bubbles or bad drilling on the ones I own.

I'd say the somewhat sloppy staining bugs me more than any of the other issues I've encountered but I still like the shapes and performance of my Petes overall - all IMO!

Reactions: edger

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I own 12 Pete's, but so far have only smoked 4 of them. I'm not an everyday smoker, so I haven't gotten around to smoking all of them. Eventually, I will. I could get by with only 4 or 5, but if I see one I like, I buy it. Plus I also have Savinelli, Chacom and others to smoke.

I can't add anything about P-lips because I haven't smoked any of mine yet.

What got me hooked on Peterson's is the The Peterson Pipe book...I love the history.
The book is fascinating!!!