Peterson Pipes - How Satisfied Are You with Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I have only two Petersons, a bulldog Donegal rocky and a Sherlock series smooth Watson. The reason why I'm writing this post is that I can't say that I'm satisfied with the quality of these pipes.

1) Start with the bulldog. I love the shape. I think Peterson makes the most beautiful bulldog pipes out there. And I think that's all the pluses I can tell about it. It whistles when I smoke it - I carved the stem how it shouldn't whistle, carved all the edges, but I still can hear it. Terribly annoying, I have no more ideas what to do about it. It also doesn't give a nice smoke, somehow it generates too much moisture. In smoking experience I can compare it to my Albanian "Toscana" (B-brand of Lorenzo), which is more than... surprising.

2) Sherlock Watson (full bent rhodesian). This one is an expensive one. I know, there are much more expensive pipes, but it is at the higher end of Peterson's product range. Still, it doesn't give a nice smoke and it is a little bit overdrilled, so there is always some tobacco remaining at the bottom unburned, plus thanks to this, it collects wet there, so it is gurgling even with the most careful puffing and dry tobacco. But all-in-all, I like this pipe, it looks nice as well, I just expected more from it.

I have never had any similar problems with Savinellis. My Ghibli is the most wonderful smoker ever, it is just perfect from the first moment. Just next to this Ghibli, there is my Winsløw Crown 200, which is also perfect in all aspects. I have some other, cheaper Savinellis as well but they are also fine.

I bought both Petersons in the last one year (from UK-based Smoke King) so they should be after the so-called "quality check problems era". Maybe I'm just very unlucky, or my standards were too high, but I'm quite unsure if I will buy any more Peterson pipes even though I really love the look of some of their pipes. Especially when there are many other manufacturers in the same price range with better products.

What is your opinion? Should I give Peterson one more chance in the future or they are not among the best pipemakers anymore?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I only have one modern Peterson, and it is a great pipe. There are a few Peterson diehards on here, but just as many who will never get one again based on bad experiences. It's a tough question. I think it really just comes down to the individual pipe. It stinks that both of yours aren't up to snuff though.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
What is your opinion?
In my experience buying a Peterson is a lottery and not one I'm prepared to play anymore. They seem to have a lot of unlucky customers and have been an unlucky customer twice out of three purchases.
Should I give Peterson one more chance in the future or they are not among the best pipemakers anymore?
I won't be buying another Peterson IMO there are better pipemakers for the same money. If you want to buy another Peterson then buy from a shop where you can at least inspect the pipe first.

Reactions: AroEnglish

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
Had a Dublin 305 9mm a couple of months ago, no problems at all so far Daniel.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you for your answers. It seems that I'm not lucky with them. But as you are saying Tavol, there are more reliable pipe makers, so it is not really worth to gamble with Peterson. Maybe I should check some more producers - recently I've started to be interested in Brebbia pipes. Do you have any experience with those?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have three Peterson pipes. One is a Peterson premier system pipe from 1975, a Peterson standard system pipe from the late forties and a pipenof the year from 2003. All excellent pipes. I do not think I would buy a modern Peterson unless it really called to me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have two. The first is a Peterson Kapp-Royal full bent with IRC stamped on the stem. The second is a Peterson Fermoy 80s I got as a birthday present in January from my wife. Neither will pass a pipe cleaner but other than that they are both good smokers. The drilling is high on the 80s but I've been told that was to provide a small well like on a system pipe for moisture to collect in.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have a few Peterson's, all but one being pre-republic, and that one is a Rosslare Royal Irish. I find it to be a great smoking pipes with no issues at all. However, for me nothing smokes better than my Castello, or Ser Jacopo pipes.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Sean: I believe that old Petersons are good smokers, they earned their fame somehow.
PappyMac: High drilling explained as it is like that for a reason? That's strange. It collects moisture indeed, like a well but because of that mine is gurgling and I can't smoke tobacco properly - I mean I can't burn 100% of the filled amount.
Orley: I will buy Castello one day, I haven't heard any bad things about those.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Daniel, I bought my first and only Peterson a few months ago--a new-production Aran--and it is the worst smoker on my roster. I'd give it away except that I don't think anyone would want it. It gurgles and collects moisture worse than any other I own, it collects huge pieces of unsmoked tobacco that get stuck to the chamber pre-treatment, and when I try to lightly clean the rim with a q-tip, the stain comes off. I personally will not be giving them another chance.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Honestly, I’ve never had a single problem with my Peterson pipes but I haven’t bought one for 9 years. I only have 5 of them but all 5 smoke great.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
In a similar price-range, if you're looking for an unsmoked pipe, I give Blakemar Briars my highest recommendation. Mike is a stellar craftsman. Also, I bought a similarly priced Chacom Alpina not long ago that smokes beautifully, and Ropp is quite good too, on the cheaper end.

Reactions: ecsteele

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have a few and they all have problems. Several problems and I don't believe I will buy anymore. When I compare the build quality, even of my more expensive ones vs something from a company like Savinelli that cost half the price the quality is not even close.

Sep 18, 2015
My Aran 69 was a bit finicky for a while, I made some minor changes to my technique and finally figured out how to smoke it.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have many Petersons - 150 or so. I ordered two Deluxe from England today ( befor Brexit ).

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have two Petersons (bent Dracula 01 & Donegal Rocky Canadian). I believe, from all the reviews I read on the forums, that their a love it or hate it brand. I'm sort of in the middle. The Dracula I have is drilled high on the shank. The Canadian is drilled okay, but it doesn't ring any bells. If I were to buy another Peterson, it would be a straight since the drilling seems to not be an issue with straights. Given my choice I'd pick a Savinelli any day of the week.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
The drilling is high on the 80s but I've been told that was to provide a small well like on a system pipe for moisture to collect in.
I have two 80s, one is drilled high and one is drill to the bottom of the bowl.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
My only Pete is a Fermoy, and while I love the shape (03), the lacquer finish is certainly a turnoff. I've been thinking of trying a more expensive line, but waiting for the Peterson diehards here to confirm that Laudisi has indeed advanced QC.

Status
Not open for further replies.