PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Judging from Sykes' blog post, maybe resurrecting some pipes from the 1906 catalogue is in the offing, given 1 trend he expects to see is more focus on "Peterson traditionalism."

goose61

Lurker
Jun 30, 2018
When can we expect the first of the new production Peterson's to hit the stores?
Always liked the various shapes and lines offered, but the stories regarding the various quality control issues caused me to look elsewhere.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
When can we expect the first of the new production Peterson's to hit the stores?
I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that the factory is closed for 3 weeks, starting today.
As a huge fan of Peterson pipes, I couldn't be more pleased with this news.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
For the record, I love Peterson pipes. The older ones, pre-Palmer.
I dislike the P-lip and only get fishtails,but I love the shaped/designs, the thick beefy shanks and I'm especially fond of the Spigot series.
All my smokes are in the older Petes with exception to one, a JM Boswell swirl pipe.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
@Kola, I agree about shaping, although if all they ever made were traditional del luxe systems, I’d be a happy boy.
It’s my understanding Peterson has fraized bowls imported from Spain and finished in house. One could buy these pipes from Spanish pipe shops for about $35 last time I checked (a few years ago). I have no idea if this is still the case and if so, what percentage of production is entirely in house. One could always ask, but I don’t think it matters too much who runs the fraizing machines so long as the wood is good and the machines are accurate. Sorting the bowls and finishing the pipes is far more important to the smoking.
There’s much anti-Palmer sentiment in this thread that I don’t understand. Peterson was at their lowest point when Palmer purchased the company. He turned things around financially, kept the company afloat and productive when most of the others disappeared and improved the quality of construction....well. in the last few years, at least. However, standards were in the crapper in the 70’s with Pete at the bottom of the triangle and stanwell and sav at the top. Pete and sav have flip flopped imho, but that’s off topic.
I’m glad the stg will continue to handle tobacco production. C&D produced PPP would have been a nightmare!

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
About half of my Petes were bought new and all during the Palmer era. Have no issues with any of them Gotta give the guy a lot of credit. :puffy:

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Im pretty excited about this, Plamer did a good job keeping the company going and turning it around, and Laudisi picking up the pipe brand is fantastic and Im certain we're going to continue to see more positive things happen.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd love to see restoration of some of the grand old designs made before I ever knew the brand, but available with fishtail bits as an option when possible. It is such a distinctive brand in terms of design.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I agree. I see Laudisi as being handed the torch to continue the good and make things even better. I think Palmer did tremendous things for the company overall, but no one is perfect. I'd rather have a strong company that had a few glitches like dip-staining then have them go the way of the dodo and be gone altogether.
I am SUPER excited about the notion of doing more traditional petes. That is so awesome.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
This is probably the best possible result for Peterson. I'm happy to see that they remain under the control of a company that is focused on pipes and pipe tobacco. I look forward to following the brand's direction in the new Laudisi era...

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Would love to add a Peterson, love the looks of so many of them. But I agree with Kola and Sablebrush, and will wait it out. I've tried 3 times to buy one and 3 of 3 times returned each one for QC issues. Laudisi is probably an excellent indication for what's coming.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Ya know....if you’re buying a pipe online, you have a lot of choice. If you are buying from a vendor that won’t inspect a pipe for you you’re giving your money to the wrong shop. If, on the other hand, you choose not to ask for an inspection, maintain that dignified quietude on the forums, (ie dont bitch that you got a bum pipe). Once bitten twice something something....
It would be quite helpful if folks with poorly made pipes would post a photo.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
It would be quite helpful if folks with poorly made pipes would post a photo.
Absolutely!!!!
I've tried 3 times to buy one and 3 of 3 times returned each one for QC issues.
I find it quite disconcerting that someone had a 100% failure rate with a particular brand.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
sillyoldbear, this is huge news. And, I hope, good news, too.
For reasons aesthetic and cultural, Peterson has a unique place in the heart of this half-breed Irish bastard -- and a prominent presence in his pipe racks. I wish you all great success with this most honorable and storied name.
Ádh mór ort.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Link to full announcements:
https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/99-peterson-acquired-by-laudisi-enterprises/

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I think the move by Laudisi to take over the Peterson pipe brand is just an absolutely great achievement on the part of Sykes and company. Peterson is already a premier brand flush with history and tradition. This marriage has the earmarks of greatness.
I own several Petes, from the old days and under the Palmer reign. No complaints here. All smoke in that wonderful Pete way in my opinion
Bravo Sykes! Laudisi and Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.