PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Well, this is a complete surprise! What I would love to see is broad production of very early designs (so many awesome shapes in the 1906 catalogs) aimed at an array of price points and not just a return to up market boxed sets aimed at collectors. It would be great if they took a similar approach the the S. Beo pipes, bringing modern airways to old designs.
A bit sad to see the company move out of the hands of an Irish family though, it has to be said.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Saw this and my first instinct was to be sad for Tom and Connor Palmer.
I'm hoping this is in the vein of Laudisi acquiring C&D where they basically helped with channels and connections and let the company continue just doing what they do. If it ain't broke don't fix it. My guess would be that's what Sykes and SP have in mind here, allow the people at Peterson to continue to do what they do and use the resources of SP to broaden the brand.
I'd like to see them return to some of those pipe sets that Peterson used to do more of; The Iceberg collection, the Writer's collection, Around The World collection etc.. One other thing I'd like to see, not so sure how possible it is, is bring the specialty blends back to the US. I think all we've gotten in the past year from them is the Special Reserve 2017 and Saint Patrick's Day 2018. Those one of blends were some of my favorites and they had incredible tin art work. I do realize getting this done is more on the FDA than it is on Peterson.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I suspect what they have in mind is expanding in to arena’s that aren’t at the mercy of the fda before new policies dictate the flow of their business. Well, here’s to hoping big things are in store for ol’ Pete.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The folks at smokingpipes/Laudisi are top-notch. The folks in Sallynoggin should be absolutely delighted. I think this is excellent news and an excited to see what the future will bring.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Laudisi or Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S ? Or does the former own the latter? Laudisi's web page doesn't seem to have links to Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Two separate companies. As I understand it, STG owns the rights to make the pipe tobacco and Laudisi now owns Peterson pipes and the two will not cross.
I am glad SPC is taking it over. I worried that when it was time for Tom Palmer to retire, Peterson would have went to someone big who would just treat the pipe business as another unit of their conglomerate. At least this way, it is now owned by pipe smoking folks.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Laudisi or Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S ? Or does the former own the latter? Laudisi's web page doesn't seem to have links to Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S.
Laudisi has no ties to STG, no. We (Laudisi Enterprises) purchased Kapp & Peterson, the pipe factory in Sallynoggin, and the Peterson of Dublin store on Nassau Street, while STG purchased the Peterson line of tobaccos.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Surprising news. Agree with you bigpond about putting out more of the 1906 shapes and also agree about your sentiments about boxed sets. I've lusted after any number of specific pipes from boxed sets but would never be able to afford the price of an actual boxed set.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The only aspect that makes me uncomfortable is that the new ownership of Peterson isn't in Ireland, but the excellent aspect is that it is now owned, or soon will be, by a true pipe group. It is a living horror when outfits are bought by venture capitalists or rich hot shots who have no background or interest in the business except as a profit maker. There's a long history of breakfast cereal executives and insurance or real estate tycoons buying newspapers; usually they can't make them pay, they ruin the newsrooms, and then re-sell the papers back to newspaper people who can sometimes rescue them. So, hail to Laudisi, and long may they keep this grand old dame of the pipe industry chugging along and maintaining its distinct Irish brogue. Laudisi's management of Cornell & Diehl has been exemplary; Jeremy has been a fine steward and artist of the blends. Also the new ownership will likely keep a steady hand on quality control so essential to this outstanding brand. Question: I've been to Dublin, but not to the Peterson store on Nassau Street; is that right off Grafton Street, the big shopping area in Dublin? Or nearby?

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I lost all respect for Peterson pipes when that goofball took over. That's when the dipstaining started. And even after hundreds of complaints he stated they stopped dipstaining. But that was untrue. How about all the poor drilling and blemished briar ? Even in the high end pipes ! IMO this boob disgraced the Peterson name. QC was non-existant. How about unrealistic months of turn-around time on new pipe returns or repairs ? Horrible. I'll stop there.
I'm glad to see a change for the better. Good riddance to a dufus of a man who single handedly destroyed a fine company.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Sillyoldbear - Was there a reason why Laudisi did not purchase the tobaccos or did you not have a chance?
Our main focus was the pipe business, that's what we were most passionate about, and STG taking the tobacco side just made the most sense for all parties.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Question: I've been to Dublin, but not to the Peterson store on Nassau Street; is that right off Grafton Street, the big shopping area in Dublin? Or nearby?
Yeah, but like barely off of Grafton, right across from Trinity College.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I lost all respect for Peterson pipes when that goofball took over....Good riddance to a dufus of a man who single handedly destroyed a fine company.
Tell us how you really feel...

Status
Not open for further replies.