PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Do all Peterson pipes have the 'system', or just certain ones? I'm considering buying one in a couple of months. Probably a Derry Rustic 05 plip, or something similar, maybe one from the Pub series.

Side note: I really love the look of those pipes. If you guys know of a better brand that has a similar look, and price range, I'd love to check that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Briar Lee

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
A System pipe has certain features. 1. Water trap. 2. Draught hole in the mortise is located higher than the tenon. 3. Tenon is slightly extended. 4. Stem has the air way drilled in such way that the opening at the button is smaller and expanded towards the end at tenon. 5. P-lip. All these features are supposed to help provide dryer, and more comfortable smoking experience.

Some of so called System pipes do not have P-lip. System Spigot do not have tenon extension. End of the tenon is partly covered by sterling from spigot.

System pipes from different brands might be different.

Deluxe System, Premier System, Standard System, System Spigot, House Pipe, and Pub Pipe are line of Peterson that has system.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Side note: I really love the look of those pipes. If you guys know of a better brand that has a similar look, and price range, I'd love to check that out.
Savinelli has their "dry" system, apparently stolen from Peterson when the patent ran out. At least it looks that way. Not sure if they're "better."

Savinelli Dry System Tobacco Pipes | Buy Savinelli Dry System Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/?tag=4513

Then there's the WDC Wellington, if you can find one.

wdc wellington.jpg

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
A System pipe has certain features. 1. Water trap. 2. Draught hole in the mortise is located higher than the tenon. 3. Tenon is slightly extended. 4. Stem has the air way drilled in such way that the opening at the button is smaller and expanded towards the end at tenon. 5. P-lip. All these features are supposed to help provide dryer, and more comfortable smoking experience.

Some of so called System pipes do not have P-lip. System Spigot do not have tenon extension. End of the tenon is partly covered by sterling from spigot.

System pipes from different brands might be different.

Deluxe System, Premier System, Standard System, System Spigot, House Pipe, and Pub Pipe are line of Peterson that has system.
Very educational thanks!

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Savinelli has their "dry" system, apparently stolen from Peterson when the patent ran out. At least it looks that way. Not sure if they're "better."

Savinelli Dry System Tobacco Pipes | Buy Savinelli Dry System Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/?tag=4513

View attachment 190119
I'm aware of Savinelli not WDC Wellington though. I'll have to look at their stuff, thanks!

Reactions: burleybreath

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

View attachment 190119
I have a Savinelli dry system that smokes quite well, and decided to get a couple more before I ever tried the Petersons.

After getting a Peterson system standard with a P-lip I decided that for me, those were superior. I have at least 7 now.

For many, they may simply be "different", and preferences either way will win. I found them to be flatter, wider, slightly less "catching" on the teeth to clench, and the smoke not directed quite as far upward as the Petes. That may be exactly what someone is seeking...

I seem to see Wellington come up quite regularly on Ebay if someone is searching for one. I've one I got in a group of pipes that I've not cleaned up to try yet. Initial observation leads me to suspect it's another imitation and may or may not perform in a manner I prefer. But it's a piece of Americana so I may end up keeping it around.

Reactions: Coreios

Etipton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 24, 2021
Tennessee
Do all Peterson pipes have the 'system', or just certain ones? I'm considering buying one in a couple of months. Probably a Derry Rustic 05 plip, or something similar, maybe one from the Pub series.

Get a Peterson you’ll be glad you did

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
My first pipe (not that long ago by the way lol) was a Peterson 303. I couldn’t warm up to the PLip. I do like the army mount and reservoir of the system pipes though. After starting to be exposed to more variety of pipe manufacturers and levels of quality, I’m beginning to appreciate a nicely proportioned fishtail

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
My first pipe (not that long ago by the way lol) was a Peterson 303. I couldn’t warm up to the PLip. I do like the army mount and reservoir of the system pipes though. After starting to be exposed to more variety of pipe manufacturers and levels of quality, I’m beginning to appreciate a nicely proportioned fishtail
Savinelli makes a plip that's fishtail. Might be up your ally. I think Dr. Grabow does too. I love the Plip though that Peterson uses. I have a similar stem on a different pipe fell in love with it instantly. Haven't tried a fishtail plip though.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Bullet already nailed it with his excellent post.

But Coreios, if you do get a system, make sure you read up on proper maintenance and cleaning. It's not super difficult, but the reservoir that traps excess moisture needs to be cleaned carefully after each smoke. Provided you are dutiful about cleaning, a good system pipe will smoke very well. My deluxe system is one of my favorites and smokes coolly. Also, word to the wise: if you need to tap out excess ash, remove the stem from the mount first, and clean out the reservoir with a Q-tip or paper towel (I prefer a Q-tip myself). You don't to accidentally spill that moisture into your tobacco.

Other than an additional step or two with cleaning, system pipes are great. The p-lip ain't for everybody, but the water trap does its job and army mounts kick ass. Plus, there's a lot of history in Peterson's line of system pipes, so getting one just feels like something every piper has to cross off their to-do list, you know?

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Savinelli makes a plip that's fishtail. Might be up your ally. I think Dr. Grabow does too. I love the Plip though that Peterson uses. I have a similar stem on a different pipe fell in love with it instantly. Haven't tried a fishtail plip though.
Yep I think I know what you mean. It’s similar to Peterson’s but just a slightly different shape and slightly more oval exit hole compared to Peterson’s round hole in their plip.
Couldnt say I wouldn’t like for sure since I haven’t tried, but for me the Plip didn’t jive because of the round nature of the button, yes, but more than that I didn’t like where the smoked hit the roof of my mouth. Maybe that would be different, now that I have some smoking experience at least.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK

But Coreios, if you do get a system, make sure you read up on proper maintenance and cleaning. It's not super difficult, but the reservoir that traps excess moisture needs to be cleaned carefully after each smoke. Provided you are dutiful about cleaning, a good system pipe will smoke very well. My deluxe system is one of my favorites and smokes coolly. Also, word to the wise: if you need to tap out excess ash, remove the stem from the mount first, and clean out the reservoir with a Q-tip or paper towel (I prefer a Q-tip myself). You don't to accidentally spill that moisture into your tobacco.

Other than an additional step or two with cleaning, system pipes are great. The p-lip ain't for everybody, but the water trap does its job and army mounts kick ass. Plus, there's a lot of history in Peterson's line of system pipes, so getting one just feels like something every piper has to cross off their to-do list, you know?
I do agree that the system pipes are iconic and whether you’re crazy about them or not deserve a spot on anyone’s pipe rack. The shapes are so cool, especially with the little flare out in the stem. An instantly recognizable silhouette.
I have a Peterson 230, and xl90, both army mounts, and the way they are drilled you kinda get the benefits of the system pipe drilling and army mount, but with standard fishtail. To each their own of course

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
The Peterson System is often imitated but never duplicated. It is truly a superb pipe smoking experience. Below is a chart of current shapes available as System & System Deluxe pipes as well as a diagram of a Peterson System pipe.

View attachment 195598
View attachment 195599
Hope too own one soon Ive

Thanks, I actually own a system pipe from Wellington. You're very right about everything you said.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hey
The Peterson System is often imitated but never duplicated. It is truly a superb pipe smoking experience. Below is a chart of current shapes available as System & System Deluxe pipes as well as a diagram of a Peterson System pipe.

View attachment 195598
View attachment 195599
Hey Streeper. You have answered a question that has been in my mind for the last few days (you mind reader!). I scored a straight Peterson shamrock pipe and it came last week. It’s a beautiful smoke and I’m smoking it a few times a day. I have noticed my teeth have a slight dull ache to them. My other pipes are all bent stems. The piece in this pic about “bent stem reduces leverage, no weight or strain on the teeth” makes sense to me now as that’s what I must be getting of my new straight pipe…..at least until my teeth get used to it. Cheers mate!

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
Others have answered all you need to know about Peterson system pipes, but all I've got to add is, my system p-lip is my favorite pipe! It's a little smooth 317, and once you get the hang of the cleaning procedure, there's nothing to it. You just have to get used to leaving it apart to cool off and dry. That's not what to do at all with a regular pipe!